Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • French
  • Taff
    Free Member

I want to pick it up again and don’t know where to start. Gave it up after GCSEs and have spoken it a bit on my trips to France but I’m losing it. Don’t really have time for classes so want to get some books but don’t really know what to get. Can only think of the old Letts school books. Someone on here has probably been in the same boat so can anyone advise me?

darrell
    Free Member

find someone who can speak French and start talking to them

its the best way

Taff
    Free Member

I can talk to my Dad or sister but need to remind myself of basics etc. Definately think talking it is the best way though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

Rosetta Stone is well regarded if a tad expensive. There may also be a French language news channel on Sky… or I could be imagining that. Perhaps a few films?

GJP
    Free Member

Start reading the French newspapers online? Depends how rusty you are

saleem
    Free Member

Send me 8 discs and a stamped addressed envelope and I’ll send you the Michel Thomas French course, unless you live Warwick way, email me and I’ll give you my address .

MrGreedy

I know it’s not quite the same as speaking it, but if you want to brush up on your comprehension, why not use a few French websites? I’m sure there must be French equivalents of STW (Velo Vert is one of the main MTB mags IIRC), Cyclingnews.com and so on, or whatever you’re interested in. Dictionary by your side and away you go…

Edit – GJP beat me to it

MrFart
    Free Member

Hugo french in three months is the best I found when I was learning.

MrFart
    Free Member

Also a french girlfriend works wonders…

globalti
    Free Member

Go to a bar, buy a beer and get chatting. The alcohol will help you lose your inhibitions.

juan
    Free Member

don’t bother french is overrated anyway…

elzorillo
    Free Member

I was going to suggest that chatting to a hot French lady will move your vocabulary skills on at a rapid pace (worked for me when I studied Spanish). Then I remembered that certain sensitive people on this forum may judge me as being sexist.. then I though sod it.. and sod their high faluting sensitivities.

Taff
    Free Member

Got a chilean girlfriend so can learn Spanish but I would really be starting from scratch. Will have a gander at the Velo vert website and the Hugo book now…

ransos
    Free Member

Try the Michel Thomas audio books – I found them quite helpful for learning some basic Spanish.

mudshark
    Free Member

I intend to spend much of my later years in France so need to get my French back too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘French’ is closed to new replies.