Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Freezing rear mech
  • Twin
    Free Member

My rear mech keeps freezing up when it gets really cold. It’s on a Canyon Strive, SRAM x0 shifter and mech. The cables are internally routed but there’s no outer cable inside the frame (there’s a ferrule at the entry point into the frame, then a plastic stopper where it exits. I can change from the small gears to the larger ones, as I’m tensioning the cable, but when I go the other way the spring isn’t strong enough to make the shift happen, even though the shifter is releasing the tension on the cable. I can make it move by hand though. It doesn’t happen on the front so not sure if it has anything at all to do with the cable routing. Also the cable is brand new, teflon coated. Any ideas what I can do to stop it happening, starting to get on my nerves now.
    Oh and by the way, when I get it back to the house in the warm, it works absolutely fine within an hour or so.

watsontony
    Free Member

move house. its the only solution.

edlong
    Free Member

wee on it

scottfitz
    Free Member

Session your stairs till it warns up outside.

philtricklebank

Old technology, what do you expect? 🙂

HermanShake
    Free Member

Shift more, if it settles it will freeze.

And wee on it, but don’t go near any jellyfish as you would have no aces up your sleeves in case of an attack (unless you literally put some aces up your sleeves or a small container of wee).

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Give the mech pivots a good spray with GT85 or some similar water displacer (not WD40 though) before you go out and work the mech up and down the cassette to get it to soak into the pivots. If you can keep water out of it, it shouldn’t be able to freeze up.
    +1 for keep it moving too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Replace the outers or at the very least strip them down and flush with WD40 then follow up with some proper lube.
    Water in the cables is freezing, rather than the mech itself.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Freezing rear mech’ is closed to new replies.