Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • FREESAT vs Sky – recos / advice pls
  • Aus
    Free Member

We've been using Freeview with a HD recorder for the last couple of yrs but signal has deteriorated to the point of glitchy unwatchable. We're not interested in loads of channels, nor want a massive Sky package. Want main channels (Beeb, ITV 1, 2, 3, Ch 4, Ch 5, Film4, Cbeebies) and be able to record programs. Is Freesat the way forward, and any pointers on what to look out for?

Or do we bite the bullet and go for Sky? Don't want to buy something that'll be out of date in the digi revolution!

Cheers

skidartist
    Free Member

You get all you're wanting on Freesat, compare the sky packages and see if anything compares favourably. For us it didn't and I was nipped by the notion of having to pay a monthly subscription for the right to operate the recording element of Sky+

Comparing freesat to terestrial freeview you'll loose the BBC derived commericial channels (Dave, Yesterday – all the ones the used to be UKTV and show repeats of BBC content) but gain some interesting news channels

Edit: You also would loose the additional C5 channels like Fiver and Five US

docrobster
    Free Member

I've got sky+ on a 37" panasonic plasma, and freesat (HUMAX digibox, not a recorder) on a 26" sony LCD. BBC HD looks good, but still prefer to watch it on the big tv. I watch the footy on ITV HD on the little telly- better picture than the SD version of same program on big plasma. Seriously considering sacking sky and replacing the sky plus box with a foxsat PVR. Only thing that's stopping me is the thought of losing remote record- being able to set the sky box to record stuff via iphone/internet etc is ace.
    Not sure what the EPG on the foxsat PVR (freesat) is like compared to sky- sky is dead easy to use- even the missus can work it (and I'm not being unduly harsh there- I get texts asking me how to put a DVD on still!) I would want to have a play with the EPG of both before deciding which one. Freesat PVR is £300 which buys a few months of the basic sky+ package (although you have to pay £10 a month or take sport or movies for sky + functionality)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘FREESAT vs Sky – recos / advice pls’ is closed to new replies.