Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Freesat adantages over Freeview ?
  • imp999
    Free Member

I am looking to upgrade my Humax PVR up to a twin tuner version. However there is a Satellite version for Freesat.
    This will cost me more and I will need to get a dish.
    Is this a good move?
    Do you get more(watchable)chanels?
    I beleive HD is availible on Freesat but I am still on a CRT TV.
    iPlayer has been pilotted and is on its way…sometime.

Anything else?

Thanks, guys.

Onzadog
    Free Member

we went from free view to freesat and lost Dave. We only did it as the box + dish + install was cheaper than having a new ariel fitted!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

we went from free view to freesat and lost Dave

worth it for that alone surely ??

jonk

If its the humax foxsat hdr then you will need a HD tv or one with HDMI because that is the only connector in the back of it.

simoncb1
    Free Member

We have a freeview Humax which works very well but does not have HD. there may be HD available in the future when the changover has finished but it will need a different set. We also have a Virgin HD box which has BBC HD and Channel 4 HD. Frankly, not much added value, however the Virgin box does seem to be upscaled on some BBC/ITV channels and can give a very good picture, possibly slightly better than the Humax freeview box.

If you are not going to change your TV for HD, there probably isn't much point in going for the additional cost of the Humax freesat HD box. Also, there can be issues with the siting of the Dish which may be difficult to aim. I put in a freesat Humax and dish for the inlaws as they are so far into the wilds, they cannot get freesat. The setup works very well and is quite similar in use to ours. There are even more channels of rubbish to watch as well!

It is worth keeping an eye on the Humax site as they often sell graded units with guarantees quite cheaply.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"If its the humax foxsat hdr then you will need a HD tv or one with HDMI because that is the only connector in the back of it."

Not entirely accurate……..

Mine has two scarts as well, so you could upgrade to a hd display later if you want with no probs.

crazy-legs

I'm in the market for FreeSat as well on the grounds that my aerial is knackered – plugged new TV in at the weekend and it can only find 3 fuzzy analog channels. 🙁
    It seems that getting FreeSat installed is about the same price as getting a new standard aerial put up!

uplink
    Free Member

Off the top of my head the main difference with channels is that there's a lot more +1s on the Freesat
    Check out the differences here & here

I run both systems on my main TV as it came with Freesat & Freeview built in – I also run a separate Humax Freeview recorder

For me Freesat is a better long term choice purely because of it's HD content, the recent mass retunes for Freeview were – in part – to free up some space for future HD broadcasts but I'm not convinced there's enough bandwidth available in order for them to run enough error correction to make it robust enough.

skidartist
    Free Member

Yes with freesat over freeviw you get more +1 channels for ITV, and channel 4, an avalanche of shopping channels (which are quite entertaining sometimes), more of the rolling news channels, including Al Jazera which is surprisingly good. You loose all the former UKTV channels – Dave, Yesterday etc – ie BBC derived repeats, and the Sky/Virgin free guff, and gain a bundle of 'Zone' channels which in the main are US guff. But you get Starsky and Hutch every day. WIN!

Very impress with the Humax freesat recorder over my previous Thompson Freeview recorder, which was disasterous.

timber

no choice here, analogue is just possible here with an aerial 1/2 mile away up the hill behind the house and a selection of boosters, but won't receive a strong enough signal when freeview finally happens in mid Wales, so Freesat it will be when the dish goes up this week

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Freesat adantages over Freeview ?’ is closed to new replies.