Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Freerider or Impact?
  • wombat

My trusty Five Ten Spitfires have pretty much bitten the dust.

Should I go for a pair of Impacts or Freeriders to replace them? Not entirely sure what the difference is between them (apart from the styling).

Any thoughts/recommendations welcome

craig24
    Free Member

Not sure on the differences but I have the Freerider Elements and I can’t fault them.?

legend
    Free Member

Impacts are stiffer, and my favourites (also own Danny McAskills which are apparently in between, still prefer the Impacts)

Northwind

I really like the Freeriders, they’re a lot slimmer and less clumpy (people spend money for 1mm thinner pedals then stand on them with platform shoes…). But, they’re also less protective, I broke my toe like a twig wearing mine, reasonably sure impacts would have saved it…

There’s also 2 different breeds, VXIs and, er, not VXIs. Personally i thought the Impact VXI is one of the worst bike products I’ve ever bought, totally wooden sole, good grip but zero feel, I just couldn’t ride in them. But other folks like ’em. (they made Sam Hill a signature VXI Impact, he refused to wear it)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Impact VXi’s are great, the only downside is the sole gets torn up if you use long pins. Stiff sole is nice IMO. Lots of great reviews of them about.

There are some re-releases of the old impacts, which are like riding a bike with lead weights added to your feet. The soles do last forever with them though.

Not a fan of the freeriders, size 10 feet and the sole is way too flexy for me.

The new Freerider VXi that seems to have surfaced looks like a nice in between shoe now, stiffer and more like an impact. Might try some of them next 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

I have a pair of the free rider elements with the ‘contact’ patch. It’s supposed to mean its easier to move your foot, although it is for me it’s now too easy and over rough terrain my foot slides around too much. The sole around the flat section is also wearing quite badly where the pedals get dragged over it. My next pair will be non contact which will then limit the choices and colours. The current impact vxi seem thinner than original impacts, less dryin time, so I think I’ll be going for them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spesh 2FO. Grippy,and dry out in less than a millennium.

bigwill
    Free Member

the freeride are much lighter and the soles are much thinner, if the screws in your flats are well out you can feel them through the sole, which some people might like, but not my bag. the impacts are very stiff, but the rubber as others have mentions does not adhere well to the soles. if you want a light weight shoe but unlikely to get big toe strikes go freeride, but if you need something a bit more solid and more protection from strike and wet, look at the sam hill dh flat, much better show than the impact.

wombat

Thanks for the replies.
    The Spesh 2f0 look good.
    I really like the grip from the Spitfires but I suspect that their somewhat untimely demise is as a result of water/mud penetration so wouldn’t mind trying something that would dry a bit quicker

zelak999
    Free Member

Couldn’t get on with the impacts, they felt really stiff and dead as in no pedal feedback at all.
    Love my free riders, especially the element version. They are more like spitfires than the impacts for sure.

mrlugz
    Free Member

My last set of freeriders (vxi elements) fell apart after less than 5 months of weekend use. 5:10 replaced them FOC, but i think the quality of them has plummeted in last couple of years.

I also have a set of impacts, much sturdier shoe and better built all round.

My next riding shoes will be 2fo’s

my 2p 🙂

ocrider

If you go wear soles out fast, 2fo’s are not for you. A buddy went through a pair in less than two months of fairly regular riding. He’s gone back to no nonsense freeriders.
    What bigwill said up there, really. If you like the softer sole and street bmxy feel, go with the freeriders.

wombat

The sole thickness/feel thing is interesting. If I’m riding flats is use the Spitfires, if I’m riding SPD I have a pair of Shimano MT34s and fine them both equally comfy.

Looks as though it’s down to a choice between the Frerides and the Spesh 2FO as the Impacts sound a bit stiffer than I’m used to.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The 2FO is a really well made shoe, but it makes the Impact VXi feel like you are riding barefoot by comparison. The soles are rock solid.

If you are anything like me and like the sole to be as grippy as possible too, you are going to be sorely disappointed with a 2FO, it felt like the shoe was skating around on top of the pins. The grip level was terrible IMO. Not even close to any 5-10.

Shame. I wore a pair for about 5 rides, then sold them.

jonnym92

Do not buy the Freerider contacts. Bought in January and the soles are falling apart with every ride. They are super grippy though I guess..
    Noticed on a recent PB article..

Fans of the previous Freerider shoe will applaud the news that Five Ten has abandoned the super-sticky, but short-lived soles made from their M-16 rubber compound and returned to the original S-1 rubber. According to Five Ten, M-16 was intended to be a compromise: super sticky soles, at the expense of a short lifespan – very similar to a racing tire. Unfortunately, that concept did not translate well to riders who paid the $150-dollar asking price and expected their Freerider soles to last more than one season of hard use.

Link.

I would avoid Five Tens if the other options were good, just worried about the 2FO grip levels, they look good other than that.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Standard original Freeriders for me – most comfortable shoe I have worn!

richardkennerley

I’ve gone from spitfires to freerider elements. Loved the spitfires, the freerider are fine but not quite as comfortable, they size slightly smaller. They don’t dry out as well/quickly either. Feel pretty tough though, should last a long time

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Bought a pair of spitfires about 4 years ago and found them very well made but a bit too flexible in the sole and without much protection in the upper. Relegated them to non-bike casual use instead. Still wearing them.

More recently, a few mates have had Impact VXI fall apart within a few weeks and had to be warrantied. Soles separated from uppers.

Personally, I like the std Freeriders, mainly because the sole/rand is stitched to the upper. They are a bit flexible in the sole but less so than the Spitfires were. Just wish they weren’t so damn wide fitting as I’ve got Shimano shaped feet. Shimano AM40s were also prone to soles coming off long before they’re worn out though.

andybrad

had the old impacts (heavy but great shoe once you get used to then)
    then the new vxi impacts fell apart after 12 months. good shoe though. much lighter.

now running am7 much better fit than both of the above. Not as gripy in the slightest.

Next pair will be a pair of 25 quid karrimoors from sports direct. Just as gripy as the am7 and last a year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of freeriders from the first iteration.

Swapped the insoles for some orthaheel sports ones which also stiffen them up noticeably and fit my feet (high arches and over pronate whilst running means no off the shelf shoes will ever fit me).

They’re now 6 years old as my everyday trainers and occasional riding shoes (I mostly use SPDs) and the sole is just about worn out. I’d buy another pair tomorrow, but £98! Might have to wait for a sale.

wombat

TINAS,

Evans Cycles has them for £70 just now 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Freerider or Impact?’ is closed to new replies.