• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by redx.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • freeride shoes?
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

anyone got a set? i am after the fiveten freerider.. any got any comments or opionions on them?

or the Shimano AM40 MTB Shoes ???

nick

thanks for your comments

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I've been on the FiveTen Freeriders for a while now. Lovely sticky shoes that look good too! Very happy.

No problems to date, apart from the seriously sticky nature making it a little hard to reposition a foot if you get it wrong!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

5_10 freeriders all the way

ahwiles
    Free Member

i had 5:10's – they're good, but they hold on to lots of water, take an age to dry, and then they fell apart.

i've now got Shimano am40's, they're not quite as good in terms of 'feel and grip' – about 80% of what the 5:10's offer. But they don't soak up as much water, they dry quicker, and they've lasted LOOOAAAADDS longer.

oh and the lace-cover flap thing is really handy for keeping your laces clean / dry – i appreciate this.

if i had to buy another pair tomorrow, i would really have to think about it, and then i'd get the shimano's, no, wait, yes. probably…

the 'original' 5:10's are lined with cardboard, this is a crap idea. i will not buy another pair until they've changed it.

Radioman

5:10s v.good as above. Don't use them with too gnarly pedals or foot repositioning is very hard as the Captain says. Agree that 5:10s can get a bit wet. In winter I use the sealskin socks or old ski socks! Maybe i should get my old shimano shoes resoled with the 5:10 stealth soles??

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just got a pair. My wife thinks they're a bit clumpy looking, to put it politely. They do stick to my pedals like the proverbial to the blanket though. I can almost use them like SPDs! 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

What about a pair of classic old school vans?
    nice soft waffly sole, dirt cheap and dont make you look like you've got a pair of barges on your feet or pair of garish euro disco slippers that match your cowabunga day glo jumpsuit.

good enough for Andy Ruffell

doug_basqueMTB.com

I've posted on this before but I love the AM40's. They are just as grippy as the 5:10's I think but last longer, are lighter and dry quicker. The lace covering is great because my 5:10 laces always seemed to come undone. (Might be poor lace tying technique!) My 5:10's came apart where the sole meets the upper after a few months of use but my AM40's are still going strong after 6 months of guiding.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i got some 5:10's a few weeks ago… they are quite clumpy and wider than i was used to… but getting used to them now…. they are very grippy tho. :D…thats wot i needed.. oh, and not happy with sum of the above comments about them holding lots of water in winter-are they really that bad ? 😥

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had 5:10 Freeriders for over a year. Great shoes – very grippy, good support and protection and v comfortable to walk in. Last year the sole and rand were separate, and the rand tended to come unstuck. New design this year with sole and rand all one piece

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

After reading about how grippy 5:10s are, I went for Shimano AM40s becasue I don't like or need silly amounts of grip. After hearing about how well 5:10s soak up water and don't last very long, I was glad I did. I've not used the AM40s that much really, but they're tough as, err, old boots and seem to keep the water out very well. I've just slung them in the washing machine and they've come out virtually like new!

Top Tip – The best place for drying shoes and Camelbaks in Summer? – Leave them in the greenhouse for a day! 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I just picked up a pair of 5:10 Freeriders cheap from We Love Mountains.

http://www.welovemountains.com/productview.php?pickcat=10004661&pagetitle=Five%20Ten%20Freerider%20Scribble%20Black-White%20&passedmenu=MTBSub

Postage is a bit steep so team up with a mate to get some like I did, it's the same price to send 1 or 2 pairs.

redx

How do the Freeriders come up size wise? Am an 8.5 in vans am wondering whether I need an 8 or a 9 in the 5.10s…..

Cheers,

Alex

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘freeride shoes?’ is closed to new replies.