• This topic has 51 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Freeloading tools….
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you think it would be possible for the content providers to block the users of these things???

Cougar

It is, plenty of sites do it.

Also, http://singletrackworld.com/terms-and-conditions/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not that way cougar, I mean not deliver content to them

andytherocketeer

like this…?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/15/to_read_this_page_please_turn_off_your_ad_blocker/

(not sure if that link will get “amended” or not)

Cougar

No, I know. Plenty of sites do it. avforums for one, off the top of my head (or did so last time I looked).

andytherocketeer

Have been to a few that try to make it difficult, but only comedycentral has forced me to disable/whitelist to see the content (and that was probably more a feature of the the video player, that won’t play content until tha ad has been played).

If they want to do research to find out what I do next if prevented from seeing content, I can save the time and effort, and tell you I’ll go elsewhere.

allthepies
    Free Member

Loads of sites detect such tools and put up nag messages.

Errr, so I’ve heard.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The problem isn’t That Software but the advertising policies of the sites concerned. If users are annoyed by adverts they will find a way to block them, so don’t regard your users as ad fodder to be abused in any way you see fit.

Even if such anti-You Konow What becomes widely adopted the YKW will respond by disguising themselves as unblocked connections and do the filtering within their own servers, as already happens with some Products

chakaping
    Free Member

No, the problem is people expecting things for free.

Do you work for free?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I argue that we forumites contribute to the success of the whole. The online/Facebook/Youtube sort of advertising model was fundamentally flawed, doing the businesses who used it more harm than good. It’s a miracle it lasted for this long before the inevitable counterreaction caught up with it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Fundamentally, putting stuff up on the web is making it available for nothing. If you want it paid for put it behind a paywall. You can’t realistically complain at people reading some of what you put on the web and not all of it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I’d hate to be in Facebook’s shoes financially.

Just because you can take something for free doesn’t mean you should.

Still, if it makes you feel clever it’s probably worth it, eh?

GrahamS

Just because you can take something for free doesn’t mean you should.

Make sure you never get up to make a cuppa during an ad break on TV then.

And be sure to carefully read every advert in your local paper.

thecaptain
    Free Member

And make sure you read every single thread on STW, don’t pick and choose which bits you want.

chakaping
    Free Member

Make sure you never get up to make a cuppa during an ad break on TV then.

And be sure to carefully read every advert in your local paper.

I don’t have to watch every advert on TV just like I don’t have to click through every ad on this website.

Ditto local paper adverts.

The advertisers pay to present these marketing opportunities to me, it’s then up to me whether I choose to take them further.

Hope that makes sense as it’s quite an important distinction.

Sandwich

No, the problem is people expecting things for free.

No the problem is people who pay for mobile connections not wanting their allowances ‘wasted’ on pointless (to them) or overly intrusive ads that make the device they are also paying for unusable.

convert

Have you been to a shop or restaurant where on paying for the thing you want they try and persuade you that you also need x? The goods ones leave it at that when you politely decline but the nauseating ones bang on and on about it making it virtually impossible to just buy the thing you want. It devalues the product you wanted and ruins the experience. There are many a time I’d have loved to have planted a fist in the spotty little oiche’s face. Think of ad blockers as a virtual punch in the face to the over persistent websites that seem hellbent on ruining the experience of using their sites. Unfortunately some more professional websites that don’t attempt to insult their customers with overbearing ads get caught in the crossfire. I feel their beef should be with other websites, not with the browsing public.

I didn’t bother with ad blockers until recently, but it makes various ( 😉 ) sites much more palatable.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Chapaking

.forumites generate content for free..but publishers, like stw and lots of others attempt to monetise that freely generated content.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

.forumites generate content for free..but publishers, like stw and lots of others attempt to monetise that freely generated content.

And the cost of hosting? Assume the forumites pay for that?

gwaelod
    Free Member

That’s a different argument, but the work for free thing is bollocks when it comes to selling adverts on the back of user generated content.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Eh, you have to pay for the infrastructure to start with, why do you think the site is monetising your forum posts?

gwaelod
    Free Member

enough server time to run a forum is cheap as chips, , forum software is available open source and is free. Innumerable examples of forums running for free and hosted freely right through internet history all the way back to bulletin boards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go on find me a free Web hosting 🙂 one where no money is required

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

I block adverts, unobtrusive adds which do not slow down the page or takeover my screen I can deal with. The main reason I block adds is the amount of data about myself which i do not consent to being shared around. Install a plugin like ghostery or disconnect and see where data about yourself is being sent to. STW is pretty good compared to some sites, but some sites you go to, it is amazing the amount they track you.

I did pay for a digtal subscription, however the product was poor in my opinion, so I stopped.

Hopefully, adblockgate, will mean that new ways of monetizing content on the internet will come to fruition, which do not make the user experience terrible, and impact on peoples privacy.

chakaping
    Free Member

No the problem is people who pay for mobile connections not wanting their allowances ‘wasted’ on pointless (to them) or overly intrusive ads that make the device they are also paying for unusable.

I understand the reasons people use them, but I take issue with the assumption that there is some sort of right to free content.

chakaping
    Free Member

So you use ad blockers as a political statement?

Aren’t you usually a right wing troll?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hopefully, adblockgate, will mean that new ways of monetizing content on the internet will come to fruition, which do not make the user experience terrible, and impact on peoples privacy.

Well apples plan appears to block ads and push content providers to use their platform and serve the ads to you but the cash goes their way.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Not trolling..just pointing out that forum members are expected to work for free to generate content for stw (and other companies) to sell and profit from.

Drac

Not trolling..just pointing out that forum members are expected to work for free to generate content for stw (and other companies) to sell and profit from.

No one is expected to do anything. What an utterly bizarre thought.

convert

That’s funny 😀

Firstly half the content is generated on the time of the forumite’s actual employer and secondly most of it is so much dross that if it was work we would have been performance managed out years ago 😀

Despite using a blocker these days I still recognise that websites need paying for somehow – my use is just a knee jerk reaction to the unsympathetic and crass way it is often done now. Sites like this are an irrelevance in many ways – the bigger issue in my opinion is the mainstream press. As a society the press play such a vital role in reporting and commenting on political, economic and general life (although it could be better than it is now clearly). With a move away from paid for paper publication it is now behind a firewall or festooned with adverts. I have yet to get my head around either yet ‘demand’ quality – I (the consumer) needs a mindset change as much as the publisher.

DrJ

No one is expected to do anything.

So can we, as contributors, expect a cheque in the post? Cool !! 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

forum members are expected to work for free to generate content

You’re right, that does sound like exploitation.

Are you a member of a union?

Drac

So can we, as contributors, expect a cheque in the post? Cool !!

Can you cover the cost of the P+P? I can’t guarantee the cheque amount will make up for the cost of that though.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Newspaper ads don’t flash or fick from text to text. That’s something I find distracting and annoying. I think there will always be an alternative, even if it’s right at the screen end of the process.

*Goes off to google ‘depraved filth’, to see what ads result*

rene59
    Free Member

What is the forum here for?

Is it to sell the users the magazine? Is it to use the members to make money from adverts? Is it here in order to attract new users to the site (and magazine) by using existing members contributions?

I suspect it’s a mixture of all the above. I imagine Singletrack needs the forum more than the members do. The site is a terrible experience when ads are enabled, maybe if this long standing problem was addressed earlier then more people would enable the ads.

footflaps

The site is a terrible experience when ads are enabled

+1

metalheart
    Free Member

Ah, c’mon. My preferred means of surfing STW is by a three (maybe even four) year old iPad so no ad-blocking software and apart from the four Tudor ads per hour (which I just refreshed to get rid of) it wasn’t that bad.

I resize the screen so other than the ‘reply’ ads I barely noticed them…

Of course if I was on my laptop I couldn’t see any for some strange reason…. 😉

Mark

Presumably because you’re a subscriber so have turned the ads off in your account settings?

metalheart
    Free Member

Yes ads turned off now, but it was different before Friday…

Dunno. Maybe I just got used to it.

(Was that just a friendly warning btw?)

Mark

No warning… and if anyone wants to know why the forum substitutes the word ‘freeloader’ it’s because we thought it was funny.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Freeloading tools….’ is closed to new replies.