Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Freelander 2 Owners – Opinions
  • MrGrim

I’ve been searching for a good one. Specifically facelift Sep 2010-2012 TD4 or TD4 _e which seem to fall into my budget.

Like any car search they seem to be everywhere then when I’m actually looking there are very few about in good condition.

Any real life experience from owners? Real world fuel economy? I’m looking for one without a tow bar but plan to fit one for a bike rack and boat trailer. Are they any good for bikes in the back with the back seats down?

Flaperon

I think they’re brilliant cars. Real world fuel economy is 40’s. Loads of room in the back but the seats are a bit of a faff to fold, and without them the boot isn’t enormous. Big enough for a giant golden retriever though.

MrGrim

Thanks Flaperon.

I’ve got a medium sized lurcher so sure the boot will be more than big enough with the back seats up.

Can you easily get an adult bike in the back with the back seats down with just the front wheel off?

mt
    Free Member

Good car. Great in bad weather and pretty reasonable in a muddy field. If well maintained they run well and keep their value.

brassneck

My ex neighbour (and ex bike buddy) had one – he always used a bike rack. Less about space more about protecting the interior of a company vehicle. Although I think his Orange 5 (L,26″ wheel) did go inside for the odd cheeky loop after meetings.

Flaperon

No problem getting a bike in the back with one wheel off – I just folded down one side and stood it up. Not had a huge amount of experience because it’s actually my mum’s car which I’ve borrowed when I visit, but it’s remarkably capable off road and in the snow even with normal road tyres.

mikey74
    Free Member

My parents have one, actually the SD4, and they love it. They tow their caravan everywhere with it.

No issues, so far.

nre
    Free Member

I work for JLR, have now had a string of about 5 Freelander 2s, from TD4 manual through to SD4 auto (change approx every 12months on the company scheme).

It works great for me as the family wagon / tow car / bike transport. SD4 auto does only ~35mpg on motorway run, more like 25mpg round town (The manual was closer to 30mpg round town, but the auto is so much nicer for towing duties…).

failedengineer

I’ve got a ’13 SD4 auto as a company vehicle. 80,000 miles so far. A little glitch with the EGR valve, but faultless otherwise. I get around 34MPG including a fair bit of towing (according to the computer). 29er goes in with a wheel off.
    It goes, handles and stops well. I’ve had it in some fairly awkward situations whilst towing a trailer and it has always performed well.

mav12
    Free Member

i was thinking of one as well a few people told me the rear diff are prone to problems and a common dodge is to disconnect the propshaft so may be worth a look ubderneath id you find one ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Freelander 2 Owners – Opinions’ is closed to new replies.