Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Freelance/consultant mortgage question
  • huws
    Free Member

I’m considering making a move to becoming a freelancer/consultant. I know it will make it difficult to get a mortgage in the future but it’s just occurred to me that this might have an impact on my current mortgage. Mortgage is a tracker (I believe it’s a 2 year tracker with a year left to run at the low rate), low LTV and the monthly payments are easily affordable and would still be at a higher interest rate. An added problem is that I don’t live there, my ex does.

Is it going to be difficult to move/continue the mortgage in a year’s time when the current deal runs out?

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll be a bit trickier if they check. If you go with a similar deal from the same bank and you’ve not had an issue with payment before then I suspect they won’t bother checking up. Could get messy if you do have financial trouble later on. To do it by the book they’ll want to see accounts that you won’t have. I’d be tempted to get a new deal now, at least a 5 year, as you’ll have far more options.

huws
    Free Member

Cheers nick. Been with the same mortgage provider for 3 years so hopefully it should be ok. Tempting to just stick it on a 5 year fixed straight away though.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I’ve just looked at this and they wanted three years’ books. Having confirmed they were available, there were no shortage of lenders wishing to take my monthly payments, frightening really.
    The bit between employment and three years was covered by hoping they wouldn’t ask, and not making any changes that might lead them to do so. YMMV
    A five year deal now would cover it I reckon – but how do the fees relate to just letting it run into your current banks standard rate tracking?

jekkyl

If you have no accounts your current lender would likely give you a deal as they usually allow special circumstances for people with no income. You will come unstuck if you try to change lender or increase your loan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Freelance/consultant mortgage question’ is closed to new replies.