• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by anc.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Freelance Designers – Professional Indemnity/Public Liability Insurance Qs
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mrs deadly has been asked to provide details of the above for one of her clients (which has just gone limited).

Do any of the designers here have either of the above and if so, who did they get it with? A few phone quotes today were looking a bit pricey; to the point where it might not be worth her while getting it for the amount of work she gets from this particular client.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime crowd. Also, how much should her level of indemnity insurance be? £50k? £250k £500k 😯

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got mine with these people: https://www.caunceohara.co.uk/quote/policies. It was about £450 for the options I went for but its easy to play with the numbers on that site. I’ve got £1000000 indemnity but I design stuff for public spaces, I suppose you need to think ‘what’s the worse than can happen?’

binners

We had ours with Aviva. Like any insurance, its not cheap. Get an insurance broker to find you the best deal.

As a designer, you’re hardly likely to end up responsible for the deaths of thousands. Well… you may be, but its unlikely to be as a direct result of your work. That would be one hell of a felt tip incident!

I can’t remember if its actually a legal requirement, but particularly if you’re dealing with public bodies, people will insist on it. So its as good as.

Its health and safety gone mad, etc, etc…. and so on and so forth

vinnyeh

I use these Freelance Insure, though not for design.

Like said above, play round with the numbers, premiums seem to be turnover driven.

Also, get your wife to ask the employer if they have any requirements- some companies will require cover to be above certain values.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers guys. It’s a bit of a PITA for her tbh. Seems this particular client is loading its insurance costs onto its freelancers (she gets a day here and there from this one). Her other two major (in their studio) clients don’t require it at all. Though I imagine it’s not a bad idea to at least have PL insurance anyway.

atlaz
    Free Member

Most of the indemnity for designers is over use of copyright material/passing off. We’ve had a couple of our customers sued by Getty over use of images that their web designers used.

anc
    Free Member

Getty rarely actually sue in the Uk do they? They threaten all sorts but stop short of actual court action. In the uk if you have a copyrighted image on your website, I think the licence holder must give you a notice to remove in the first instance, which Getty don’t do and just send you a bill.

Lots of our work involves safety training for power stations which obviously involves site visits. The indemnity is a absolute must from our own point of view, but also more and more companies require the details of the level of cover at the quoting stage. Not cheap but we couldn’t work without it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Freelance Designers – Professional Indemnity/Public Liability Insurance Qs’ is closed to new replies.