Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Freeing up an allen bolt.
  • bigthunder
    Free Member

poxy wee grub screw allen bolt in my grips is being a right bawbag. anyone got any ideas how to shift it? its on the verge/could be rounded. tried soaking it with wd and not really wanting to force it much more. bloody halfords crap.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hot water (I’m assuming the collar is alu).

bigthunder
    Free Member

never heard of that! I will try it when my patience returns. Thanks!

scotsman
    Free Member

What Roschach said, if not use a hex bit if you have one then you can push down on the ratchet whilst applying more torque, if not just go for it if you **** it just drill the head of the bolt off using a drill bit the same size as the head of the bolt.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Thanks!

ddmonkey

I have a similar problem but with a crank bolt that I cannot shift, do you thinking the hot water trick could work? I assume that the steel bolt expands less that the thread in the axle, freeing it up? Or just the expansion contraction has a loosening effect?

TiRed

Before the drill, you could try forcing a Torx bit into the head. After all, how much torque did you use to do it up? Other wise, driller time!

weeksy

bit of ‘plus-gas’ makes a lot of inroads into a siezed bolt.

Then a hand held impact driver. You can get one that will fit your normal sockets/connectors etc.

float
    Free Member

+1 plusgas. it really is magic.

bencooper
    Free Member

If it’s a tiny grubscrew that the allen key is just a bit loose in, get an allen key of the right size (one you can spare) and hit it with a hammer to flatten it slightly to get a better fit.

globalti
    Free Member

Hot water = waste of time.

Plusgas/WD40 etc. = waste of time, it won’t penetrate seized threads.

Hammering in a bigger Allen key will destroy it.

Cutting off the head will leave the shaft and how are you going to remove that?

The answer:

Support the piece very well. Take an Allen head from a screwdriver set or a punch and a big hammer and give the bolt a smart tap vertically.

Having broken the bond you’ll find that it will unscrew easily.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Thanks again all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Freeing up an allen bolt.’ is closed to new replies.