Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Freeing up a stuck seat post
  • Harry_the_Spider

GT85 hasn’t worked.
    Heating the frame with boiling water hasn’t worked.
    Fixing it in a work stand and trying to turn the frame hasn’t worked.
    Swearing at it hasn’t worked.
    Doing all of the above at the same time hasn’t worked.

Any suggestions?

twinklydave

IF the worst comes to the worst there’s always this method

nosedive
    Free Member

take the saddle out, put the post in a vice and hang off the frame. wiggle and repeat

almost certain to squash the seat post though (I just squashed a thomson doing this )

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    project
    Free Member

undo seat bolt and go for a ride.

rideallday77
    Free Member

Put the seat on it. Clamp that between your legs. Twist the frame/hit with rubber mallet. Seat survived, as did post.

chvck
    Free Member

trek820
    Free Member
    iainfrancis
    Free Member

I’ve used the sheldonbrown trick in the past:

If nothing else works, the final resort is the old hacksaw blade trick. Cut the seatpost off so that about 1/2″ is left sticking out, then insert a hacksaw blade into the seatpost and carefully cut a slit in the post. This is very laborious, and you run the risk of damaging the frame if you cut too far, but this approach cannot fail. Once you have cut the slit, grab one edge of the cut with a locking plier and roll the seatpost up inside itself and pull it out.

I cut a groove in a piece of wood to support the hack saw blade used an old inner tube to protect my hand. I also wrapped a bit of wire around the bottom end of the blade that stuck out of the bottom of the post to try to prevent accidentally cutting into the frame when I’d almost cut through it. Took over an hour to do it, but it did work.

Milkie
    Free Member

With the help of a friend we drilled a big hole through the seat post, stuck a big screw driver through it and used an 8ft pole to break the years of rust. My LBS then cleaned up the inside of the frame, good as new!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Freeing up a stuck seat post’ is closed to new replies.