Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Free software to analyse CCTV footage time-line for sound peaks as a graph?
  • Poopscoop

Need to look through hours of video footage to find one loud noise which coincides with a neighbours shed being broken into.
    The shed was left looking totally ok after break in so can’t just scan footage looking for a change in a door being suddenly open etc.

Need software that can show a few hours of video as a time-line with a graph showing sudden peaks in the audio volume to narrow the times down I bed to look at.

Hope that makes sense?

Any info appreciated. 🙂

geoffj

Can you export the audio and open it in Audacity?

Poopscoop

Not to sue to be honest.

The other complexity is that the hours of video are split into 4 minute segments.

Hence was going to drop them all into a video editor in one go and hope the time line stamps allow the editor to treat them as one file or allow me to join them all before I search for the audio?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Free trial of something like adobe elements? Just drop them all in and scan through for the blip on the audio track.

seosamh77
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    Can you export the audio and open it in Audacity?

what he said

Poopscoop

Thanks guys.

With the large amount of files would I have to individually expert them all to audacity though?

Also, it would be better to be able to tie the sound to the current image from the cctv for that precise second.

Would Elements do that Mike? Will have to do some googling!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Put it on an sd card and pop it round to the neighbours. I think you’re doing enough by allowing them to use your security system.

geoffj

Maybe stitch the video files together into a single file and then export the audio for analysis. Then use time in to cross reference with the video file to read the actual time stamp off the video.
    Depending on format, iMovie or windows movie maker should allow you to do the initial stitch.

colournoise

Use a video editor that shows you the audio waveform on the timeline. Shotcut is free and will do this. If you’re on Linux then KDEnlive will let you split the audio off onto its own track.

Poopscoop

Yep, ideally that’s what I want. Something showing the waveform as part of the timeline.

Think the files are .avi from memory.

Will tx them to the pc later from the sd card.

Thanks for info guys and will look at Shotcut also.

Oh, running Windows by the way.

poly
    Free Member

Can I ask why?

If the cctv has sight of the person responsible then are you not better fast forwarding to find people.
    If the audio file has a noise how will you be sure it is the shed not a car door, someone dropping something etc?
    If the noise is there how does that help anyone?
    If the noise is not heard (or not distinct above background to find on a visual signal) does that mean you have no useful footage?

geoffj

It might be easier to see a spike in a volume graph than trawl through for visual clues.
    Obviously this approach assumes that the volume spike is determinable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Free software to analyse CCTV footage time-line for sound peaks as a graph?’ is closed to new replies.