Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Free satellite images?
  • thebrowndog
    Free Member

I am doing a proposal to the Forestry Commission to build a 4X track on an area that we use for coaching kids MTB. They’re really supportive, but to finish it I need a decent satellite image onto which I can overlay the course of the track. Ive been looking for about an hour and can’t find anything that will let me just copy the screen and past it into a PowerPoint document. Any thoughts?

Smudger666

Print screen button on a PC – copies it to clipboard.

Edit the pic in paint to hide those embarrassing open tabs!

duckeee
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s of any use, but Google Earth “Pro” is now free. Usually has very up to date (2015) imagery used. Could just screenshot/crop that?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bing maps always seems to be more up to date than Google when I look. just use snipping tool to save as a JPG file.

Clobber
    Free Member

Snipping tool is built into windows and is actually pretty good, just type snipping into the search on the start button

Doh1Nut

Worth checking the Bing maps birds-eye angled view.
    Use the arrows by the compass to see the view from the North south east / west.
    Often the east west view is much higher resolution than the north view ( or it is round my way) either way, an angled view might give a better appreciation of the slope.

Milkie
    Free Member

As above, Google Earth Pro is now free meaning you can print/export high quality images. 😉

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Thanks folks. On a Mac rather than PC but downloading google earth pro and will see how we get on.

Cheers

bigblackshed

You have Grab on the Mac, same as a snipping tool on Windows. It’s in utilities, or use Finder.

nickdavies

Mac – command + shift + 3 screenshots the screen and puts it on the desktop.
    Use command + shift + 4 to get a crosshairs if you want to grab a crop of an area of the screen.

Milkie
    Free Member

Google Earth Pro Print Res: 4800x3200px
    Probably a bit better than a print screen. 😉

maccruiskeen

On a Mac rather than PC

Apple’s ‘Maps’ app (which you’ll have if you’re on a recent OS) has much more up to date satellite images than google or bing where I live.

the command/shift/4 as above

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Free satellite images?’ is closed to new replies.