Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • free music downloads
  • poolman
    Free Member

I finally embraced the digital world & bought an ipod touch 5 gen, mainly for podcasts but I now want some music which I don’t have on cd.

Where do I get say Bauhaus tracks for free? spotify & itunes I have to pay, is that the going rate?

Any advice much appreciated.

jon1973
    Free Member

If you want it from a legitimate site, you pay (which is fair enough, I guess). There are always the torrent sites – but that would be naughty.

somouk
    Free Member

As above, music is mostly not free.

I tend to find the convenience of using iTunes is the best thing for iPods and the like.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

If you have a stack of your own CDs, then you can start be ripping them.

BigJohn

If you don’t mind crap quality using real player you can download mp3 from Youtube clips.

I was listening to Guy Garvey last night on 6 music and he said “pay for your music – there’s no excuse not to”. That made me think. He’s got a point.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Just buy it. You wouldn’t walk into a shop, pickup a CD and then walk out without paying for it, so why is buying music online any different?

poolman
    Free Member

thanks for replies, fair enough I’ll pay for it.

cheers

jon1973
    Free Member

Just buy it. You wouldn’t walk into a shop, pickup a CD and then walk out without paying for it

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg[/video]

jekkyl

I’ve been downloading music through bit torrent for years, wouldn’t consider buying it unless it was something I really wanted that hadn’t been ripped off yet.

sweepy
    Free Member

I pay spotify for the convenience, dont even bother downloading free anymore, most music isn’t worth the time for the amount of times i’ll listen before I get bored of it.

DezB
    Free Member

Sometimes you can find old stuff on Blog sites. Just Google the album and check for blogs. Not many left since the anti-piracy guys jumped in, but still some about.

CountZero

jekkyl – Member
    I’ve been downloading music through bit torrent for years, wouldn’t consider buying it unless it was something I really wanted that hadn’t been ripped off yet.

So you’re quite happy to turn up at work every day, then get to the end of the month, to be told, ‘thanks for your work, of course, there’s no pay check, we expect you to work for the love of it’
    What on earth gives you the right to expect artists to work for nothing, just to satisfy your sense of entitlement?
    Christ, I hope you have a hard drive crash and lose the whole lot.

spacemonkey

+1 CountZero

jekkyl, what exactly entitles you to acquire something, in this case music, for nothing?

jon1973
    Free Member

Yes, that’s a bit like stealing a jar of instant coffee from your local shop and justifying it to yourself by saying it not a nice as ground coffee.

DezB
    Free Member

PS. High-horse squeaky-clean boys – my recommendation above is only for old stuff that you already paid for (eg. on vinyl) 😛

jon1973
    Free Member

PS. High-horse squeaky-clean boys – my recommendation above is only for old stuff that you already paid for (eg. on vinyl)

I think that’s more justifiable, but when someone says they don’t buy something because they think it’s crap but are happy to download it for free is a bit hypocritical. At least they should be honest about what it is they’re doing – which is avoiding paying for something.

sweepy
    Free Member

where did he say it was crap tho?

tinribz
    Free Member
    thegiantbiker
    Free Member

If you’re just looking to build up your library, music blogs tend to post links to free tracks. A lot of newer musicians put out free music to try and build interest, so there’s usually free tracks and sometimes EPs. Pigeons & planes put out a set of free downloads on sundays. It’s not all great, but there are some gems and it’s a good way to find new artists.

kimbers

i tend to buy stuff i really like but often torrent it first

i dont feel guilty i buy plenty of music, especially from smaller bands

I liked the radiohead experiment where they let you choose how much to pay for their album (in rainbows?) the average payment was 3 quid and i think thats a good price, if all albums were priced at that the industry couldve sold plenty more and avoided much of the torrent ass kicking they recieved

2nd hand cds on ebay/car boot sales etc is a good legit way to do it

zokes
    Free Member

2nd hand cds on ebay/car boot sales etc is a good legit way to do it

This has always interested me from a legal aspect. Presumably the reseller does not own the copyright, so why should they make money by selling it?

sideshowdave
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for illegal downloading of music we would be paying around £25-£30 per cd by now (was paying £18 in the early 90’s remember?) , record companies would be still ne giving artists £80 million five album deals with next to no quality control over the stuff they put out. The way we buy music is a broken business model, streaming music services like spotify is the way forward as at least you know you rent it.
    Oh and by the way torrenting music is not stealing music , it’s copyright infringement which as much as the music industry propaganda will tell you is not the same.

sc-xc
    zokes
    Free Member

steal

Verb

Take (another person’s property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Copyright infringement is the unauthorized use of works under copyright, infringing the copyright holder’s “exclusive rights”, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the copyrighted work, spread the information contained within copyrighted works, or to make derivative works. It often refers to copying “intellectual property” without written permission from the copyright holder, which is typically a publisher or other business representing or assigned by the work’s creator.

Still not stealing

zokes
    Free Member

Still not stealing

It is if you do it without “legal right”.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

No it’s ‘copyright infringement’

funkynick

zokes – if you record a track off the radio, is that still stealing?

How about if I record a TV program from the telly? Stealing?

Why are these different from dowloading a track from the internet?

jekkyl

I download music for free simply because I can and because I can get away with it, the police haven’t come knocking down my door yet, it’s great. I don’t d/l loads, perhaps an album or so every month or so. I also download movies but I have a love film sub.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I’ve never paid £18 for a cd in my life, has anyone?

Spotify is fine for previewing music, but artists get a pittance from them so don’t kid yourself that it’s a substitute for buying music

Recording from the radio is a grey area I think – the key difference though is you have no control over what is played. You can’t just grab an artists entire back catalogue like in a torrent site.

I think people who illegally download music can’t value it very much. This is a shame – but I do suspect that if they were unable to do it they would just be taping their mate’s CDs or whatever

People who love it pay for it in some way or another, those that don’t, don’t. it’s always been like this

DezB
    Free Member

AS this is still going – I, personally have an eMusic subscription, where you pay a monthly fee and tracks are 42p each.
    Also a regular user of Bandcamp where loads of new (and old) give music is given away for FREE and you can sample full tracks before you buy/get for free. Many have a low fixed price, many do like the Radiohead thing above, where you set your own price. For new music Bandcamp is amazing.
    I also download stuff from blogs, not because I don’t value music, but completely the opposite – because I love discovering new stuff and thre’s no way I could afford to pay for it all, and how else am I going to hear it? If I like something I’ve downloaded, I’ll get it on eMusic or Bandcamp if it appears. A lot of the time I just delete stuff. That’s how music is these days. I’m sure all artists are aware that as soon as they release something it’s available, shared on the internet.
    And a few middle aged blokes on a forum saying “OI! You’re a thief!” ain’t going to change it anytime soon!

sideshowdave
    Free Member

I’ve never paid £18 for a cd in my life, has anyone?

Yes many a time, I have over 4000 cd’s , lots bought pre-downloading when there was no competition against record companies so they could and did charge what they wanted.

I’m old enough to remember how ‘Home taping is killing music’ . Now downloading is ?

Funny I think the dross of what is ‘x-Factor’ is killing more.

DezB
    Free Member

ps. on that note : I emailed Burial when my mate copied his first album off me, saying I thought my mate should buy it, what did he think. Burial replied saying “As long as they are hearing the music, it’s cool”.

nbt

No, downloading music is stealing. If you ripped it to CD and started selling them, *that* would be copyright infringement

jekkyl

I think people who illegally download music can’t value it very much.

sorry mate this is nonsense. I LOVE music,I love all the tunes on my HD, otherwise I wouldn’t have got them regardless of the means of acquisition.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

No, downloading music is stealing. If you ripped it to CD and started selling them, *that* would be copyright infringement

No , taking a physical thing or taking funds without permission is stealing, downloading music is copyright infringement .

And no I don’t and no I don’t advocate it in any way but it’s not stealing

Love the picture 😀

DezB
    Free Member

taking a physical thing or taking funds without permission is stealing, downloading music is copyright infringement

But surely if people keep repeating “It’s stealing” over and over, adding nothing to their argument, they will be right in the end, yeah?

zokes
    Free Member

sorry mate this is nonsense. I LOVE music,I love all the tunes on my HD, otherwise I wouldn’t have got them regardless of the means of acquisition.

I’m sure your boss loves your work. Does that mean he doesn’t have to pay you? Doubly so if your profession is something intangible in the service industry.

But surely if people keep repeating “It’s stealing” over and over, adding nothing to their argument, they will be right in the end, yeah?

By downloading something for free, against the owner’s wishes, when you would otherwise have had to pay for it, you’re stealing.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

But it’s not stealing , it’s copyright infringement , u are not taking the owners copy , you are downloading a copy of it , the artist/record company still holds the master copy

zokes
    Free Member

But it’s not stealing , it’s copyright infringement , u are not taking the owners copy , you are downloading a copy of it , the artist/record company still holds the master copy

You are depriving them of the money that should have been paid for the copy.

Just like stealing a CD is stealing – it’s not the 20p for the case and the blank media you’re stealing, it’s the 10 quid the finished product is on sale for.

Either way,

the artist/record company still holds the master copy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘free music downloads’ is closed to new replies.