Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Free antivirus software?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Can someone recommend a some good free anti virus software to download please? I can’t remember the names of any of them.

Thanks!

Muke
    Free Member

Microsoft Security Essentials doing it for me

cp

mse on three machines for me too – seems great so far (just over a year of use).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

AVG, Avast.

higgo
    Free Member

MSE

Cougar

MSE is the correct answer, as it is every time this question gets asked which by my reckoning is about once a fortnight. (-:

(Or Windows Defender if you’re running Windows 8.)

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thanks all, I had trouble installing mse as it said it was already on my system and I had to uninstall that first, couldn’t find it anywhere though! But I have downloaded malware removal bytes which seeems good so far.

MoreCashThanDash

Slight hijack – Windows Defender is installed on my Windows 8 package, but the computer came with a free Norton trial which expires soon.

When I try and open Windows Defender, it tells me that it has been turned off by Norton and I can’t find a way round that message to get through and restart Defender to take Norton off

Any tips for this IT numpty – ideally in large font and small words….. 😳

Matt24k
    Free Member

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
    NRT
    Restart and make sure that Defender is running.

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers, will give it a go later

rossi46
    Free Member

+1 on the Microsoft Security Essentials and Defender.

Just got rid of McAfee and its faster already 😀

Norton is the anti christ- i got rid of that a couple of years ago, it positively crucifies your pc. Avoid it like the plague 😉

jock-muttley
    Free Member

+1 on the Norton & McAfee being spawns of satan…. insidious resource grabbing kludge

+1 MSE….

Cougar

But I have downloaded malware removal bytes which seeems good so far.

Malwarebytes is superb, but it’s not an AV solution.

What version of Windows are you running?

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame’s work machine runs painfully slowly with a lousy combination, XP and Norton. Fortunately running malwarebytes in safe mode gets rid of the things that get through the sieve and stop it working. On her latest laptop they took W7 off and replaced it with XP, madness.

My home machine which is in theory less powerful runs W8 and AVG at the speed of light.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cougar, I have Windows 7.

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame asked her employers to sort out her computer, i.e. put W7 or W8 on it and get rid of Norton. It came back with W7 and MSE. The change is impressive. It’ll reduce the amount of coffee I drink as she’ll no longer put the kettle on while it boots and make the coffee while it loads an application.

Edit to hijack: can anyone suggest a free e-mail programme that will handle bigger attachments than Thunderbird.

Cougar

I wasn’t aware Thunderbird had any problems with attachments, are you sure it’s not a provider issue?

I use Live Mail, or whatever it’s called this week. Part of Essentials.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials

Edukator
    Free Member

Thanks for answering, Cougar, I’ll try Essentials on Madame’s machine. It’s my son who’s moaning about Thunderbird, I’ve had no problems and suspect my son messed up somehow.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Free antivirus software?’ is closed to new replies.