Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Free alternatives to Windows Movie Maker?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

For reasons I cannot figure out, WMM has stopped working – when I import video, it just displays a grey box – plays the sound but no image. Tried reinstalling etc etc – no luck.

Short of reformatting the laptop, any recommendations for any similar software I can try out? I just want to stick a few holiday clips together with a title and music, so nothing fancy required.

Want to keep vaguely decent quality (I know WMM isn’t great, but I downloaded a trial for something else and it was truly terrible), and no watermarks of course.

Thanks, Duane.

(Running Windows 7 if that makes any difference)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

How techy are you?

You could install Linux as a dual boot and run Kdenlive which is a well featured video editor.

It’s a bit of work but powerful and free!

scotroutes

Sounds like a corrupted codec. Try installing one from this site and see if it fixes the problem?

http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

Duane…
    Free Member

Not overly techy I’m afraid.

Scotroutes, any idea on which one I should install? (sorry – see above!)

scotroutes

Go for 9.8.0 – Full. That should be the most up to date and most complete.

robbo
    Free Member

Serif MoviePlus trial is quite good – it just restricts the output file types alloweduch like wmm.

Duane…
    Free Member

Installed codecs – nae luck 🙁

Robbo – thanks, will look into it.

Trampus
    Free Member

Download Ubuntu Studio from HERE and run the dvd ‘live’, ie without installing it. Has a great video editor built in, Openshot, and some other good stuff! 🙂

Duane…
    Free Member

Right, installed MoviePlus, seems pretty decent, think I’ll have to spend £5 on the codec pack as it won’t let me import GoPro mp4 files.

_tom_
    Free Member

Lightworks beta.

Duane…
    Free Member

Had a lay around with Lightworks a while back, for now I just want something simple I can quickly check edits together with, maybe in the future I’ll try learn how to use LW!

aracer
    Free Member

Recently I’ve been using VirtualDub combined with AviSynth. A bit techy as it’s all done with scripts rather than with a gui, but incredibly powerful (and actually quite simple to use).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Free alternatives to Windows Movie Maker?’ is closed to new replies.