Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fred Whitton – would it be stupid to do it on the mtb?
  • marvincooper

I’ve heard that the roads are pretty cut up on the downhills, and if it’s damp I’m going to feel much more confident and safer on the hardtail than the road bike.

There’s not a massive difference in weight as the road bike isn’t a lightweight. Gearing wise the mtb is a bit lower too which would help. Dunno though, does seem wrong. Wish I had a cx bike with discs, would be perfect!

I know the road bike would be quicker. Also I’d have to take the camelbak on the mtb as it only has one bottle boss.

What to do? I’m most likely to go road bike but have nagging worries about the state of the roads and my lack of confidence compared to on the mtb.

convert

It’s a long day and whilst the focus is on the lumpy bits in reality there are some long hauls on normal roads between them. I’d go road bike for definite but maybe replace the tyres with something a little wider (25 or 28mm) to smooth it out a bit provided you have a low enough gear available on it (34×27)

Make sure your brake blocks have got plenty of life left in them too. I used mtb XC shoes rather than my road ones as I wasn’t sure if walking would be on the cards – it wasn’t then but might be now!

stufive
    Free Member

I’m in Grasmere and did the Fred last year I’m still waiting to see if I can get palace for this year, I was up kirkstone and wrynos just yesterday and your partially right in what your saying the roads are not great in places but I would imagine there not much worse than most of the country, I think as long as you watch out for the bigger holes you’ll be fine, I certainly wouldn’t even consider doing it on a mountain bike not for 8 hours, as above if your really worried about it you could always get some wider tyres? But bare in mind your going to be wishing you could shed extra weight by he time you get to hardknott!

DavidB
    Free Member

I wrote a whole chapter in my book here covering that very thing. 4 of us rode the route, 2 on MTB 2 on road bike. Let’s just say the roadies finished first.

marvincooper

Thanks chaps, I am suitably reasssured that the road bike is the way to go. If I crash on a nasty bit of potholed road I’ll be cursing you!

DavidB, you have a purchase, cheers!

marvincooper

DavidB, just read and enjoyed the section on the FW, and I’m now firmly convinced, road bike it is. Now, on with the rest of the book.

I just saw that you are (or were) Swindon based – me too so might see you out sometime.

stufive
    Free Member

Interesting I’ve looked at that book before so I’ve just bought and downloaded it two sales in ten minutes not bad going! Ta

DavidB
    Free Member

marvincooper, yep fully paid up member of Swindon MB and just about every other club in the area.

stufive – much ta’ness. refunds are available for all unread words as long as evidence provided.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton – would it be stupid to do it on the mtb?’ is closed to new replies.