Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fred Whitton this weekend anyone?
  • marionheck
    Free Member

Anyone else here doing it?

I am goign to start at 7am, black cervelo RS with Rsys wheels and white bar tape and tyres. Say hello if you see me, and tell me to get back on my bike and stop pushing!! 😯

who else has the fear of Hardknott!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh Im doing it, dont know what time yet, probably wont drink on saturday night, then i can start earlyish. If its raining then I might sack it off.

The two lads Im starting with should be doing it in around 7hours or just under, so look out for me, I'll be cycling on my own after about three quarters of a mile.

I have a fear of all the hills

marionheck
    Free Member

weather forecast is looking good for sunday….. thus far.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

was thinking of doing it some other time now they have the timing kit in permanently

might still have a go 'on the day' next year

i don't fear the hills, i've ridden most of them on my mountain bike, can't be much harder on a road bike can it 😉

good luck

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think I'll get bored before I finish. Around 10 hours of sitting down, I like to be out and about doing stuff.

Dr_Bike
    Free Member

Yes, first time for me, so Hardknott and the rest will be a new experience. There are 5 of us from my work taking part. should be fun. 😯

marionheck
    Free Member

Thats right MMW – same as a road bike, just trying to work out how to quickly attach my granny ring onto my chainset!!! 😉

i did go and do the route 3 weeks ago over two days. I was surprised at not finding hardknott not 'too' hard if i weaved all over the road and not attack it straight up.

but i am sure it will be a different story with 100miles in your legs before hand!

finbar
    Free Member

Yep, i'm doing it. Not sure what time i'll be starting yet but i'll be riding this (sans the carbon front wheel), say hello if you see me pushing up the hills 😆

BigTed
    Free Member

I'll be starting as early as possible on a 90s Merckx Corsa Extra in 7-11 colours with very low gearing and a determined mindset (I'm hoping the latter will drag me through).

wellhung
    Free Member

Did it 2 years on the trot never again, it doesn't really get hard until Buttermere then it starts to bite.

Good luck all those doing it hope the weather is pretty, although both years i rained on hard between Hardknot and Wrynose.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Ive done it a few times, not easy but dont get off and push you puffs. Ive done it on 39 x 25, tough over hardnott after 100 miles bt was determined that them hills would not beat me, they didn't.

Marionheck **** me still riding Rsys, some mental 60 mph decents, on them wheels, would rather shag Edwina Curry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😈

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

dave – steve is doing it I think.

mrpink
    Free Member

😀

Sanny
    Free Member

Rode the route last weekend on my cross bike. Absolutely marvellous route. I was glad of the triple! If you just pace yourself, you should be fine. Has anyone ridden it in reverse. Hardknott and Wrynose look way harder going the other way. Personally I reckon Honister was the hardest climb. It just sneaks up on you. On the plus side, the steepness means you gain height quickly! Enjoy it guys!
    Cheers Sanny

alexxx
    Free Member

your all sick

kennyp
    Free Member

I'm doing it with some pals. Starting about 6.30, and on a black Focus Cayo (with a triple fitted). Say hi. Setting off down to the Lakes in the next hour or so.

DenDennis
    Free Member

yeah did it a few years ago, i think it rains at some point whatever the day is like. we had bright sunshine all the way only to get dumped on between hardknott and wrynose.
    as above, it was Honister that killed me. I'd never done any of the route before and until that point I was thinking 'the ride isnt that hard is it…' it just seemed to come from nowhere and gave my legs a real spanking. 😯

GavinB

Bunch of us heading up from Manchester/Bolton area to do it. Some for the first time (me and a couple of others) and a couple of old legs.

Did a mini-Fred a couple of weekends ago to see how I felt on Hardknott/Wrynose after 70-odd miles, and managed OK, but just need to 'keep the heid' and not blast off over the first half. Hitting that after 100 miles tomorrow will be fun – can't wait. Just changed over to some nice Swisstop green pads, as the standard Shimano ones caused me a few very very nervous moments a fortnight ago descending Honister etc in the wet! 😯

Probably wearing a ST Special Reserve top, riding a black/white Trek Madone.

yetiguy
    Free Member

wow, loads of mtbers doing it. 😯

See you all there, on a (cervelo r3)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton this weekend anyone?’ is closed to new replies.