Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Fred whitton gearing- recommendations?
  • swanny853

I happily ran a 105 10 speed mech with 11-36 (as a single ring, so the cage length wasnt an issue)

swanny853

Fitting a 36t cassette…..why not just get off and walk? It’d be quicker.
    Does your bike have disc brakes aswell? Then you’d be riding something that closely resembles a mountain bike, not a road bike.

Interesting proposition- does that mean if you put rim brakes on a downhill bike it would closely resemble a road bike? After all, it’ll likely have a close ratio cassette

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Interesting proposition- does that mean if you put rim brakes on a downhill bike it would closely resemble a road bike? After all, it’ll likely have a close ratio cassette

I think if you wore lycra while riding it….although I believe that’s banned.

swanny853

I think if you wore lycra while riding it….although I believe that’s banned

It would liven up the tdf descents if some of them could take off road shortcuts

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It would liven up the tdf descents if some of them could take off road shortcuts

😀

If you’re the worlds most gifted athlete, you can take short cuts with skinny tyres….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr89ku-K2WU[/video]

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

@davidtaylforth

didnt you ride a disc brake road bike?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

didnt you ride a disc brake road bike?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

That will be a yes then

dirtyrider
    Free Member

compact 50/34
    lindarets road link
    medium cage shimano ultegra di2 mech
    11 speed xt 11-40 cassette

been running the above for many many miles

tool for the job, not masochistic bollocks about rule 5 or whatever,

Freester

16.5 stone Clydesdale.

Ridden the Whitton twice. Tiagra 10 speed I fit a 12-30 cassette with a compact. All the climbs were doable apart from the 2 steep bits on Hardknott where I got off and pushed. Not sure I could clear those with fresh legs on that gearing.

postierich
    Free Member

The Fred route is not that hard its the weather that makes it hard! Why anyone would be changing gear ratios for a one off event baffles me!

Rich

Digby

why not just get off and walk? It’d be quicker.

Because you will have walked it rather than ridden it. For some people that in itself is part of the challenge. For others it might not be.

TDF etc riders frequently swap cassettes/cogs etc depending on the terrain.

From memory, Bradley Wiggins used to put a MTB cassette on for the mountain stages. I’m not saying you have to – but it’s an option if you want to ride up the hills rather than walk.

Why anyone would be changing gear ratios for a one off event baffles me!

I’ve actually left the 11-32 cassette on since I did the Fred 4 years ago. But then I live on the edge of the Peak District and I’m getting old …

simondbarnes

Why anyone would be changing gear ratios for a one off event baffles me!

I’m too fat to get up Lakeland passes with a 39t inner ring so I bunged on a spare compact I had lying around. Didn’t even cut the chain down. Took 5 mins. Seemed a sensible thing to do 🙂

djflexure

The Fred route is not that hard its the weather that makes it hard! Why anyone would be changing gear ratios for a one off event baffles me!

Fear

chilled76
    Free Member

Or they aren’t used to doing 15000ft of elevation acros 8 hours and want to get round without cramping at 90 miles… and would like to ride the majority of the route.

Not fear, realistic view of their own fitness levels and what is achievable in the time they have between now and then 😉

Pridds

Or because they can and it might help them enjoy it more or worry about it less. Not everyone is a much as a riding god as some of the total heroes on this thread.

taxi25
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t go lower than a 34/50 with a 11spd 11/32 cassette. The jumps in a wider range cassette would spoil the rest of the ride for me. If I had to get of and push so be it, I’ve done it before and no doubt will do it again 🙁

aP
    Free Member

I’ll be building up with 44/30 and 11/28.

chilled76
    Free Member

Didn’t get through the lottery anyway 🙁

Roll on 2018 entry

ampthill

Yes but shimano road mechs are limited to 32 tooth maximum

Strictly speaking not true. The latest Tiagra rear mech’ is rated to 34 teeth and compatible with the 11 speed pull ratio. So 36 teeth wouldn’t be much of a stretch. Specialized sell a bike with 36 tooth rear cassette and a 105 rear mech’

Lowering the gearing makes total sense to me. Yes I would rather ride at walking speed than walk. Always find it weird that anyone should feel the need to voice an opinion about the gear ratios on some one elses bike

Garry_Lager

Going the other way, is there much call for the big ring on this ride? I have 1×10 on my CX bike, 38 tooth (don’t have a proper road bike) – I won’t be pursuing a fast time by any means, more just looking to get round, so I thought it seems reasonable for a hilly course. I’ve done v little roadying, though – I guess you can work with others and get the big ring turning over?

whatgoesup

Lottery acceptance email through this afternoon, so it looks like some lower gears will be needed after all – that and a lot of riding between now and then!

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

@chilled76 always worth getting your name on the reserve list. Virtually everyone who goes on it gets a ride IME. Do that and assume your in and carry on training 🙂

Re gears, my personal recommendation would be a compact and a 12-30 if on ten speed or 32 bottom sprocket on 11 speed. If you feel you need to go lower do so. It all depends on your power to weight and ambition for the day. Most importantly enjoy it either at the time or in retrospect when then pain eases!!

Pridd’s some of the heroes spouting on here haven’t even ridden the event! You riding this year?

Stainypants

I started road riding in the peaks and Pyrenees with 50/34 and a 36 cassette cause I was heavy and unfit. I have a much right to ride up those mountains, as Chris Froome regardless of the speed.

I now use a 28 or a 32 depending on the bike, I managed a similar amount of climb in the summer as the FW but nothing as steep as the horseshoe.

and yes i have disc brakes and they are brilliant.

chilled76
    Free Member

@smuttiesmith thanks for that, I’d heard so but I’m not training my arse off on a chance I might get an entry. The one thing that’s got me out when I really can’t be bothered recently is having this on the horizon and my training plan moving forward was pretty brutal.. not something I’m doing on a chance of an entry. I’m going to spend a year riding and losing weight with the view of entering again next year.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

@chilled76 No worries, if you don’t ride this year you could always marshal to guarantee your ride for next year and halve the cost of the entry. Depends how far you have to travel I guess as to whether its worth your while.

Good luck with the training either way!

postierich
    Free Member

Could always ride around on the day if you don’t get in just don’t use the feed stations as that would be a bit tight 🙂

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Why not, its only a charity event put on by volunteers after all?

Bit of d*ck move IMO.

There are 365 days in the year, ride the route on another day. The weather is bound to be nicer than it will be for the official ride.

Digby

Bit of d*ck move IMO

I’m inclined to agree … the marshalls at road junctions and everyone else involved are volunteers and really do a sterling job.

I found the support from the marshalls and all the locals lining the road to be quite something special – it really gave me a boost when I was cold, wet, tired and slightly bewildered.

There are other days to ride and you can make a contribution to the very worthwhile cause(s) at any times.

I’m fairly certain the the Fred Whitton is one of the few ‘non profit making’ sportives.

Pridds

It’s not against anything apart from the ethos of the event and therefore, imo, a total dick move. The only way to make it less so is to donate £60 to Macmillan.
    It’s a shame the never got the 4 season Fred back up and running after the move from coniston as that was a good way for people to get the sense of achievement without having to do it on the day.

@smuttiesmith
    yes I am doing it again, looking forward to it! also do I know you IRL as the username isn’t ringing any bells.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Pridds, short answer yes. Long answer, I’ve emailed you on the mail in your profile.

chilled76
    Free Member

Agreed, pretty poor show to ride a charity event without a place. Certainly not something I’ll be doing.

Thinking if entering the peak epic instead maybe.

Garry_Lager

The Cheshire cobbled classic worth a look chilled? The 100 mile route looks fierce. I have an entry for the noob’s 100k route and am expecting it to be pretty tough.

Stainypants

I’m going to give both the cobbled routes a go once it drys out, goes a mile from my house it would be rude not to.

butcher

I don’t care what anyone says, you need to have a figure like you’re made of noodles to pedal the big gears up hardknott, regardless of fitness. The vast majority of people will be pushing hard in their smallest gear by the time they hit the steepest section, and it’s manageable enough if you’re fit, but it’s a long day….

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

It’s like doing 15 minutes of heavy squats at the end of a 100 mile bike ride. That’s off 11 stone, 260W FTP and running a 36:30 bottom gear. I think my avg cadence was 50rpm!?

jwt
    Free Member

FWIW, I rode the Fred in 2014 and have marshaled every year since. A local pumptrack project I started would never have happened without the support of the Fred and they do much more than just support Macmillan.I get as much a kick out of seeing tired riders perk up when you encourage them, see you somewhere again this year Pridds.

Pridds

Hopefully a bit earlier this year Jono!

hughjengin
    Free Member

34/28 was enough last time I did it. The speed on Hardknott was more a factor than the gearing if I remember, keeping the front wheel from wandering, keeping the back wheel from spinng and not getting cut up by somebody weaving was more an issue, than gearing for me. I think going slower with anything lower geared would have been a detriment rather than an advantage to me. But im not a big fella. As mentioned above tactics are king, you are just as likely to affect your success on the day by what ypu do on the flat bits (A66 and the rolling bit along the West coast) than you are on the climbs. I dont have any bad memories of any of the climbs, but some horrible ones of the main road to Keswick and the awful headwind for what seemed an eternity on the rolling terrain toward Sellafield

jam-bo

Just remember to go round the outside of the hairpins. Saw a few people loop out or stall sideways trying to ride up the inside where it gets super steep. Including the guy on a Harley….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Fred whitton gearing- recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.