Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Fred Whitton…
  • joat

Only saw a couple of incidents today, there had been a coming together just after Lorton, one rider looked in quite a bit of pain. On Hardknot, a chap next to me lost traction, then momentum, then fell over still clipped in. I had a sideways incident dropping down to the second feed station on a steep tight bend when a car coming up the hill meant I had to change my line. Luckily my orsum skills prevented carnage. Hope you all had a trouble free ride.

nammynake
    Free Member

Hopefully there were no serious incidents today. I was fully expecting some crashes given the wet and windy conditions. Had a sketchy moment myself on the right-hander descending Kirkstone – a strong side gust pushed me across the road and I managed to stop just before the wall.

Saw a woman on the Newlands climb who must have fell off. She was right on the edge of the grass – would have a been a long and nasty fall if she’s gone over.

jam-bo

Only saw a couple of incidents today, there had been a coming together just after Lorton, one rider looked in quite a bit of pain.

I was nearly caught up in that. Not entirely sure what happened but suddenly three guys went down hard about 5yds I front of me. Not entirely sure how I managed to avoid them.

steve_b77
    Free Member

There were 2 I know of on the descent from Kirkstone. One lad hit the wall very hard and his bike went over it, he was pretty bloodied, but walking and another guy did similar and broke his collar bone.

13thfloormonk

Target 1: Finish. Check
    Stretch Target 2: Finish under ten hours. Check (9hr35m)
    Stretch Target 3: Ride all of Hardknott and Wrynose. Check

Nicely done! Same checklist for me except my target was eight hours and I managed 7:43 (I preferred my riding time, naturally, as I sprinted in to beat 7:30 by about 20 seconds 😀 )

Usual second wind nonsense which I’ve never managed to understand, started feeling better and better after 2nd feed station (actually, maybe not a second wind, maybe just tea and flapjack!). Either way, got to base of Hardknott, and before it even started to ramp up got some weird cramp on the inside of my quads, really thought it would scupper my chances but it passed really quickly, and I think I did a decent job of the pass, seated for most of it and even had to accelerate past three guys who’d practically stalled on the steepest section, although I paid for it immediately after and they all passed me again 😀

After Wrynose I pretty much just sat up and coasted, back and neck were getting pretty sore, but quite a few guys passed me so I wound it up again and enjoyed a great wee time trial back to Ambleside, big ring and drops all the way, felt great!

Used the 32 tooth sprocket on every climb though (too preserve the legs more than necessity of gradient) very glad of it.

jam-bo

I was pretty apprehensive riding the approach into hardknott as I really didn’t feel like I had a lot left but just kept grinding the pedal strokes out and eventually it was over. Was close to stalling on the last straight steep ramp but had a word with myself and crawled over the top.

The ten miles to go sign at the top of Wrynose was cruel…

boxelder

The ten miles to go sign at the top of Wrynose was cruel…

At least you don’t do the hairpins up to the Coniston road any more…..

stever
    Free Member

Everyone back alive then? Happy with mine – 9h 20. I’ve only done about 400 miles all year so can’t grumble. Slightly soft pedalling first half with a mate and then we went our separate ways in that stretch of doom out West past Lowes Water and over Cold Fell. Kicking myself for walking a minute or two on Hard Knott around the last sharp L-R – but honestly not sure if digging in further would have done it. Couldn’t remember if Wrynose was harder, but it was fine actually so probably should have emptied the tank on Hard Knott. Interesting to hear it was as hard as 2-3 years ago when I assumed it was truly grim.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

a great route, but a month too early 😉

vondally
    Free Member

another DNF blown knee and doctors waiting room now 😥

boxelder

a great route, but a month too early

cough………Tour of the High Passes in July……..cough

jam-bo

loads of photos on flickr if you search for fred whitton.

this one pretty much sums up my experience of cold fell.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rL6qfc]Fred Whitton 15_1116[/url] by Brian Phillips, on Flickr

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton…’ is closed to new replies.