Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Fred Whitton…
  • jam-bo

Balls. I didn’t actually expect to get a place.

How hard is it?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Probably to hard for you 😉

cultsdave
    Free Member

I applied but haven’t heard yet, does this mean I haven’t got in?

jam-bo

got the email about 20 mins ago

13thfloormonk

Ha, yeah me and a mate at work both applied and got in, wonder if the ‘lottery’ is really necessary! We’re both first timers though so that might help.

Finished last year feeling good at the Bealach Mor on a relatively heavy bike, but then have spent most of November and December not riding because of a wrist injury. Hoping spin classes till end of February and then two months back on the bike will be adequate preparation!

jam-bo

On entry it did ask if it was first time and I think they reserved a certain number of places.

it’ll be a good warm up for the Dartmoor Classic….

TheDoctor
    Free Member

It’s on open roads so ride it anyway!

boxelder

Can be a cruise in the sun or a battle into wind driven hail.
    Cross those digits (and give us a wave as you pass our front door)

matts
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. I stayed in Patterdale a couple of years ago and just went out one day and rode the route. Stopped at Whinlatter for a nice lunch.

If you’re worried about finishing, the key will be not to get caught up in racing the first 20 miles like a crit when everyone sets off way too fast, then time trialling the next 20 miles.

Here’s a picture of me climbing Hardknott. You know, just riding along… 🙂

13thfloormonk

I’ve actually climbed the equivalent ascent (10,023ft) in a single climb, 5 hours of climbing right enough… 😕

Amazed at how they cram all that elevation in considering the ‘signature’ climbs aren’t actually that big.

I compared with the Aviemore to Pitlochry ride I did a few years ago and that is still a couple of thousand feet short, I guess because Aviemore itself is relatively high. If you ride Pitlochry to Aviemore and do two laps of the ski hill climb then you’re pretty much bang on, not a ride I would ever have considered previously but might have to give it a go in April.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

First timer and i got a knockback…boo!

dunmail
    Free Member

It’s surprising how much all the small rises add up, 20 metres here, 10 metres there and you soon get large totals. Did one of my “flat” rides a few months back, it’s flat enough to consider for HR zone training, and it has 400 metres of ascent in 30Km.

On the FW there’s a lot of up and down between Kirkstone and Honister for example and a hell of a lot between Whinlatter and Hardknott.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 first two hours are the key. Go off too fast and the next 6 will be hard.

rocco

Another first time and Im in!:D

Better get some hill training in. No chance of me getting caught up in racing, Im just out to complete.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Steady away up the hills, esp the first few then take it from there if your feeling relatively fresh. Obviously there’s a lot of hills but there’s quite a lot of flat sections linking them up and if you want a good time it’s these that can make or break a sub seven hour time imho. Looking forward to it. Although I’ll have to loose a few pounds if I want to better last years time 😳

reggiegasket
    Free Member

and smash the last 10 miles – eh andy?

You in again?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member
    and smash the last 10 miles – eh andy?
    You in again?

Yeah 😀 Are you having another go or have you had enough ?

fubar
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for an email either way..anyone else still not heard ?

jonk
    Free Member

First timer here and got in. Riden most of the passes and parts of the route but never the whole thing in one.

matts
    Free Member

Oh yeah, just after I took that photo above, I descended into the Wrynose bowl and bumped into a couple of blokes who were about 80 on a tandom.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Bugger.

No luck here either. First time applying for the Fred.

I just hope now it proves to be third time lucky with my application for Ride London.

climbingkev
    Free Member

A warm up for the Dartmoor Classic!? I did the DC in 2013 and thought it was a bit of a gift compared to Coasting in Cornwall (the worlds worst route and weather!) and Sommerset Hills Gran Fondo (which is fantastic btw). Is the FW not savage? I really don’t know if you’re having a laugh, sorry!

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Check your spam folders – mine went in there on a Gmail address.

womp
    Free Member

Whoooo, im in ….now where did i leave my road bike 😯 not been on it since July

joat

Bugger, just found out I’m in. Shit just got real.

jam-bo

DC Grande Route is roughly same amount of climbing and distance. more long sustained climbs though than lots of short steep ones.

vondally
    Free Member

Alas not in, attempted for the first time last year.

Good luck to one and all

matts
    Free Member

more long sustained climbs though than lots of short steep ones.

That’s the really killer in the lakes generally. If you don’t have the right gearing you end up having to ride way too hard to keep your cadence up, or you end up grinding over a big gear. Either way, it’ll kill you for later in the ride.

Make sure you have the right gears for your fitness level. At least a 34-28 as a starting point – preferably a bigger cassette if you can. I rode Hardknott at 4.5W/Kg on a 34-28 and had an average cadence of only 60! After 100 miles Hardknott is *really* hard.

EDIT: Contrast that with Matterdale 4W/Kg @ 93rpm, Whinlatter 4W/Kg @ 88rpm, Kirkstone 4W/Kg @ 86rpm.

13thfloormonk

Hmm… I managed a sustained 25% in 39/27 three years ago, I’m probably not as fit as I was then although there’s still four months to go, would think I’d be OK in 34/28 although do have a new 11spd 11-32 cassette knocking around, would need a longer cage mech though.

Now the hunt for accommodation begins!

Shred
    Free Member

First timer and no luck for me.
    I’m thinking of the Cumbrian 200 or the Sheffrec Full monty instead.
    Or the Selkirk MTB marathon and do a second ride on the Sunday…

jam-bo

Now the hunt for accommodation begins!

is it difficult? any recommendations for a campsite?

13thfloormonk

Nah, I just had a quick look and there’s still a variety of options, I just need to coordinate 2 co-workers, one of whom really needs a good night’s sleep before a long ride, and the other of whom snores like beezlebub himself…

(plus the helpful targeted advertising above is already full of Grasmere hotels! 😀 )

fubar
    Free Member

Still no email (I checked spam too). It’s odd as I received confirmation of lottery entry without issue. I guess I’ll take it as a ‘no’ unless I receive something. Still I’ve got training for the long route of Cheshire Cat to get me off the sofa.

fubar
    Free Member

good news, emails arrived (header suggests sent 10:27 this morning but just arrived at 15:18 !?)
    bad news, it’s a rejection.

postierich
    Free Member

No luck for me really enjoyed it last year riding with a couple of friends that had entered! might volunteer to help out to guarantee a place for next year

Sandwich

Matts no pic as you went over the cattle grid? 8)

52:39 and 12-29 didn’t do it for me on the four seasons version. There was walking!

thekettle
    Free Member

It’s an awesome day out, great atmosphere. Definitely 34-28 if you want to ride all the passes. Food stations are amazing, Cold Fell usually lives up to its’ name (if wind is W or SW) and catches out exhausted riders. Get into a bunch for the A66 leg (and Cold Fell too if possible). Enjoy 😈

bullandbladder
    Free Member

@shred – pretty sure there is no Selkirk marathon this year 😥

joat

Has anyone tried to organize a STW group in previous years?

Shred
    Free Member

Their web site says there is on the 2nd May
    http://www.selkirkmtbmarathon.com/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton…’ is closed to new replies.