Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • freaky weather & waterproofs over rated
  • dobo
    Free Member

blimey, we’ve had some right freaky variable weather today down south.
    one minute we had blazing sunshine and a calm breeze, the next we had horizontal stinging hail storm and massive gusts of wind, followed by a big downpoor of rain, then sun half hour later..

my endura event jacket is defo not waterproof anymore 🙁 only lasts about 5 mins in rain.
    Didnt spoil the ride though, thanks to some dhb and merino kit that keeps me warm when wet…

great ride though

druidh
    Free Member

MT90s, Sealskinz socks, Stealth tights, Icebreaker T, Endura MT500 top Berghaus Paclite Jacket and Specialized Deflect Gloves. That just about covers it. Weather was howling gale with sleet and snow. I was still dry and warm underneath though!

iainc

just above feezing with horizontal snow at Mugdock this am.

Spesh Defrosters, sealskin merino lined socks, Thermolite tights, Howies merino base, Endura FS260 top, Altura Extreme jacket, Endura Deluge gloves – was lovely -)

dobo
    Free Member

wasnt cold down here today though, which made the wet strangley enjoyable.

mw80’s kept my feet warm and dry though

will remember this ride for the next time i look out the window and see its raining

unsponsored
    Free Member

I tend not to bother with cycle specific “waterproof” jackets anymore. I just go for a short climbing harness cut mountaineering jacket. Currently using a Mountain Hardwear model bought in blacks sale last year. It’s a nice close cut, the hood is big enough to go over my Giro Xen and its waterproof.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Tried the new Altura Attack Extreme jacket out today in horizontal snow over Edale way. Very impressed, with not just the waterproofing and windproofing, but the breathability as well. Had an Icebreaker merino underneath, with a Specialized wicking vest under that and the bib knickers between. Very pleased with the purchase!

iainc

gonetoohills – first outing for mine too – quite agree, ace kit. Not sure how best to wash it and keep it proofed and breathing though !

AlasdairMc

Icebreaker 200 base layer, Endura short sleeved tech tee over that, and finished off with a Rab softshell. I was perfectly toasty in the Pentlands today despite it blowing a gale on the tops, my one downfall was the water pouring down my legs and into my seal skinz.

molgrips
    Free Member

Reproof the damn thing. Grangers is better than Nikwax.

Regular reproofing is required for all waterproofs.

Oh and never wash it in normal washing powder, that buggers it. Use a mudguard so you don’t have to wash it after every ride.

bikey
    Free Member

Dobo: I’m not sure where you were riding in Hampshire today but the weather you experienced was totally different from where I rode.

I left my house in Gosport at 8am and rode to my friends in Fareham and then on to Whitely for the start of The Meon Valley MTB club Sunday ride starting at 9am. There were 9 of us out today and 5 of us has shorts on.
    I was wearing a pair of baggies, Helly short sleeved base layer and a long sleeved top and that was it. No over shoes, no over jacket or winter thermals or mega thick gloves.

The conditions today in Southern Hampshire were perfect and I arrived home at 1 o’clock having knocked out 40 miles with barely any mud on me or the bike.

Matt

dobo
    Free Member

bikey, was over farley mount way, didnt get out until the afternoon, started off sunny then got freaky wind and rain, was really windy and some hard rain and hail, then by the time i got home it was sunny again, did about 28mile. rained on and off for about half the ride. theres a ford over kingsombourne way when i went past it it looked like part of the river and had ducks in…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘freaky weather & waterproofs over rated’ is closed to new replies.