Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Freakin gear set up
  • heebyjeeby

Getting annoyed now!
    Cannae get the rear derailleur to shift over the whole spread of cogs – not the limit screws as when I pull the cable by hand it shifts fine to the top cog and conversely it shifts down to the small cog when I let the tension out the cable.
    Tightening the cable gets it to the bigger cog at the back but it won’t shift to the little one; but when I undo the bolt to loosen the cable to rectify this it goes to the small cog but not to the top!!
    Probably quite simple but help needed (please…………)
    All new gear so nothing worn or owt.
    Cheers

TooTall
    Free Member

You’ve not got 8 and 9 or 9 and 10 mixed up or SRAM / Shimano have you?

heebyjeeby

No its Shimano/Shimano the only thing I can think it might be is when I am cutting the outer cable its crushing the ends a bit which is not giving it a smooth run.
    Any tips for cutting outer cables? I just use a Park cable cutter.

heebyjeeby

Inserting old inner cable to outer then cutting seems to be the way forward – hopefully this will resolve by woes as I am getting a bit peeved now….. 😈

heebyjeeby

So much so that I have started talking to myself on internet forums! 😀

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I use a Dremel tool to cut cables for a perfect finish. The basic tool is not much different in price to a pair of decent cutters, and you can also use it for other tasks (if you’re so inclined). I’m not convinced that your problem is coming from this, though. If the outer was crushed, you’d get slow/stiff shifting through the range, not just a jam at one end or the other. Probably.

Have you checked the derailleur hanger? I have a spare (new) hanger in my trail bag and it’s also been out a couple of times to check if shifting problems are coming from the one on the bike being out of shape. If you can’t swap yours out, you’ll really have to get a shop to put an alignment tool on it as a problematic bend can be impossible to see visually.

With the cable disconnected completely, can you manually shift the chain from one end of the cassette to the other?

TheBrick
    Free Member

most of these strange shifting problems are solved with either new, carefully cut cables and / or hanger alignment. A gear hanger alignment tool is essential for good gear set up.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you can’t swap yours out, you’ll really have to get a shop to put an alignment tool on it as a problematic bend can be impossible to see visually.

Just read this. It’s the truth, you frequently can’t see any problems.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Freakin gear set up’ is closed to new replies.