Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Frankie Boyle on hunger strike…
  • Bez

Ah, yes. What IanMunro said nice and concisely, instead of my verbose waffle.

Woody
    Free Member

IM +1 and your verbose waffle is always worth a read Bez 😉

What staggers me is the very personal and OTT attacks on a comedian, who appears to be using his position to highlight an area which has no doubt escaped much of Joe Public’s attention.

Seems very un-PC for the oh-so PC brigade to wish someone harm, or even death, for supporting a serious human rights issue!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

..now back in the 70’s/80’s the H-block hunger strikes where they smeared poo over every square inch of the cells, that’s a serious hunger strike….. or follow through

Brilliant

enfht
    Free Member

I genuinely do not give a crap what Cameron thinks, so not sure what your point is Ernesto.

project
    Free Member

Like the ones in america keeping people in guatanamo and the people themselves who are held there, will like me, be asking who is Frankie Boyle, and when told he passes himself off as a comediene, then his hunger strike is not at all funny or one of his best jokes.

tazzymtb

ahhhh bless you singletrack. You remind me why I dislike the world and have no faith in humanity. xx

Bez

“You want me to stand up against or even take notice of a decade of detention without trial? But you once told some jokes I didn’t like! Hope you die, and screw the guy in Gitmo!”

3dvgirl
    Free Member

still resisting a rant.. im doing really well

Bez

Ah gawan gawan gawan

Woody
    Free Member

will like me, be asking who is Frankie Boyle, and when told he passes himself off as a comediene

Are you getting confused with Lily Savage?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But you once told some jokes I didn’t like!

Don’t ever underestimate the hatred some people feel for comedians they don’t like.

project
    Free Member

will like me, be asking who is Frankie Boyle, and when told he passes himself off as a comediene

Are you getting confused with Lily Savage?

Where as Lily Savage, was actually funny and a stereo type of a scouse woman,helped a lot of cross dresers and women impersonators to find their way in life, and he lived down the road from me and so did Lilly.

Bez

Clearly, also don’t underestimate the toss some people couldn’t give about people locked up for a large part of their lives with no trial in a society whose civil liberties they personally exercise daily.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…….and he lived down the road from me and so did Lilly.

If that doesn’t qualify and add value to your opinion then I don’t know what does !

Woody
    Free Member

,helped a lot of cross dresers and women impersonators to find their way in life

and he likes dogs, which makes him almost saintly 8)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, Clive Stafford Smith! What a bell- end as well. I’ve never found him funny and i can’t see how his hunger strike helped anyone, nor the bloke who,takes over from Frankie.

At times like this i want some of the old guard back, they were the only ones with enough patience and perseverance to chase down these stupid ideas and give them no place to hide.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Julie Christie could be following Frankie Boyle. What’s her standup routine like ?

unknown
    Free Member

I like threads like this, they are a great help to me in compiling my “stupid” list.

FWIW I wasn’t aware of the specific individual involved before Frankie Boyle (who I have no strong opinions of one way or the other) got involved with the hunger strike. So in that sense, job well done. Sometimes just starting the debate is the hardest thing to do.

jamj1974

Due process Sui is essential. Without it we head towards increased oppression and reduction of essential liberty. If opportunism comes before integrity you end up in a bad, bad place. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance as the saying goes… Vigilance should be turned inwards and outward.

kimbers

yunki
    Free Member

I love Frankie Boyle..
    I know it’s en vogue to dislike him, and probably makes you popular in your office, but the bloke’s a sound geezer..

If you read his books or even watch his comedy with an ounce of intelligent thought, it’s very plain to see that he is mostly thoroughly disgusted with the apathetic and self congratulatory consumerist morality of modern British society..
    One of his books from a good few years back is virtually a maniacal tirade against the appalling lengths that the British government seem willing to go to in the pursuit of self gratification, with almost complete focus on human rights atrocities, and well researched and thought out arguments against various military campaigns

folk with glazed over eyes and slack jaws that bumble around like flies at windows slagging off Boyle need a good hard punch in the face

konabunny
    Free Member

If he was an aid worker, then he will of been registered so no problem.

I’m impressed by your knowledge of Afghanistani charity administrative law under the Taleban regime. Did you study at Kabul University Law School or were you one of those Kandahar Polytechnic jokers? (Just kidding, like – some of my best mates are Kandahar guys but I always give them stick for being silver medallists).

athgray
    Free Member

His comedy tickles my funny bone. Yunki +1.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I love Frankie Boyle..
    I know it’s en vogue to dislike him, and probably makes you popular in your office, but the bloke’s a sound geezer..

If you read his books or even watch his comedy with an ounce of intelligent thought, it’s very plain to see that he is mostly thoroughly disgusted with the apathetic and self congratulatory consumerist morality of modern British society..
    One of his books from a good few years back is virtually a maniacal tirade against the appalling lengths that the British government seem willing to go to in the pursuit of self gratification, with almost complete focus on human rights atrocities, and well researched and thought out arguments against various military campaigns

folk with glazed over eyes and slack jaws that bumble around like flies at windows slagging off Boyle need a good hard punch in the face

Never mind all that – has he been of any use in giving publicity to the plight of the last British resident held in Guantanamo Bay ?

The OP who started this thread, and brought the issue to everyone’s attention, doesn’t seem to think so.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I wonder why it is the opium trade has constantly been on the increase since the invasion of Afghanistan… it’s not as if the CIA has any history of involvement in the drugs trade. 😐

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_CIA_drug_trafficking

Certainly no evidence to suggest both the CIA and FBI have at the very least prior knowledge of the majority of ‘terrorist’ attacks, or in many instances have encouraged and aided violence.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/national-affairs/how-fbi-entrapment-is-inventing-terrorists-and-letting-bad-guys-off-the-hook-20120515

Are all the guantanamo detainee’s angels? Perhaps not, but I’m happy to bet there is a large number who’s only crime is being born on the wrong side of the world whilst hate and misrepresentation is being portrayed by powerbrokers with an agenda.

athgray
    Free Member

What are you on about jive? This is like deja vu. Only just seen the Adabolajo thread.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Your two links appear to have nothing with either Shaker Aamer nor the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.

So well done for posting random unrelated stuff !

Unless of course you can provide a strange and elaborate conspiracy theory to connect all these seemingly unrelated issues ? 🙂

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Well, depending on how open minded you are, I could be providing a degree of informed insight into how the media skews perception of some of the darker realities of western politics, or alternatively, I could be a fruitloop, who is away with the fairies…

Frankie Boyle is a good un:

Bez

People are using Instagram-type effects on screenshots now? I might do a week’s hunger strike to protest against that.

athgray
    Free Member

That last bit is more like it jive. Don’t over think things on a Saturday night. 🙂

proteus
    Free Member

whether you like Mr Boyle’s humour or not, he’s drawing attention to a grim situation.

if you think “force feeding” of hunger strikers is stuffing nice cakes in someone’s mouth until they let out a contented groan, then think again:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jul/08/mos-def-force-fed-guantanamo-bay-video

ps if you haven’t noticed, this is being done in your name. you should ******* care.

CountZero

Sui – Member
    Ernie, not everything written millennia ago is fit for purpose.

Perhaps not, but the Magna Carta still is, and is recognised as the document that firmly established those principles in law.
    Perhaps you’d like to up-sticks to, say, Zimbabwe, North Korea, or one of several former Soviet republics, and report back on your experiences of living somewhere where nothing in the Magna Carta is regarded as ‘fit for purpose’.
    Let us know how you get on.
    If you can…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Boyle is on the “Fashionable to hate” list, and he’s using that notoriety to good effect. Again if you go past the headline jokes his stuff is well thought out, and he would probably outwit a lot of his haters round these parts.

It reminds me of an interview with Price Charles, he remembered some advice he was given while younger – somthing along the lines of: Make the most of bein the Price of Wales, you can hold opinions and people have to listen to you, you can be a pain in the arse, as soon as you become King you have no opinions.

FWIW the situation of the detainees over there is a shambles with too much bad PR for anyone to come out of it well (hence Obama left it to the second term). The worst of it is that it looks and sounds too much like the evil dictators that we went round the world to overthrow because they did things like lock their citizens up without trials etc.

5thElefant
    Free Member

now back in the 70’s/80’s the H-block hunger strikes where they smeared poo over every square inch of the cells, that’s a serious hunger strike…..

How did they make the poo?

I think he’s got a diet book to flog.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

It reminds me of an interview with Price Charles, he remembered some advice he was given while younger – somthing along the lines of: Make the most of bein the Price of Wales, you can hold opinions and people have to listen to you, you can be a pain in the arse, as soon as you become King you have no opinions.

Along with, make sure you keep your mouth wide open when your servant is brushing your teeth for you.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m so glad he has used that platform for such valuable causes…

not everything written millennia ago is fit for purpose.

800 years is not even one millenium, let alone thousands of millennia. The reason why it’s been around so long is because it’s good.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Frankie Boyle on hunger strike…’ is closed to new replies.