Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • France, atlantic coast – holiday park recommendations
  • damomcg
    Free Member

Hi folks,
    Following recommendations from previous French summer holiday threads on this site we holidayed at a Yelloh Village site in Brittany last summer. It was excellent but the missus wants to head further south for warmer air and sea temperatures early July. Looking further south Yelloh Village seem to have to good sites but most have restricted access to the beaches. I was wondering if people could any of these or other recommend parks in the Vendee region or near Bordeaux.

Cheers!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We stayed at Les Ecrueils on the Vendee at Les Mouettes near St Hillier De Riez. Nice small fallibly owned campsite right on the coast, but with a decent pool and facilities. It’s about 3 hrs drive from St Malo.

jambalaya
    Free Member

General comments, yes the Vendee has a different feel and for example changes from dark slate roofs of Brittany to more Mediterranean tiles. The French told me they regard Ile d’Yeu as the first Island of the “South”. We have stayed in a europark in the Vendee which felt quite hot and arid relative to Brittany, around Normutier or especially Ile de Rey are worth checking out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    christafafa
    Free Member

We stayed at Le Clarys-Plage in St Jean De Monts on the Vendee, nice site with a great water park for the kids,and a 2 min walk to the beach

ransos
    Free Member

We’ve camped on Ile de Re for the last two years, we love it down there: terrific beaches, great cycling infrastructure, local markets, restaurants, and a cooling sea breeze (it’s pretty hot in the Vendee in August).

petec
    Free Member

We’ve stayed here a couple of times. Lovely. Close enough to town for fresh croissants (they do them there but it’s not the same) but far enough for a bit of peace .

Only slight downside is BBQs are verboten due to pine woods and dryness.

Also here in Brittany. Very good. Cider farm between you and the beach. Bit cooler obv!

Pigface
    Free Member

Le Pin Sec is somewhere I have been and it was great but I was surfing so cant really say about family suitability.

eemy
    Free Member

We stayed at Le Bois Dormant near St Jean de Monts last summer. Great park. Very quiet for the 1st week (1st week in July) then got a bit busier.

dannyh
    Free Member

We stayed at Le Clarys-Plage in St Jean De Monts on the Vendee, nice site with a great water park for the kids,and a 2 min walk to the beach

+1 for Le Clarys-Plage. We stayed there a couple of years ago and had a great time. Lovely site, spacious, clean and excellent water park. Noirmoutier as a day out is also excellent.

pondo

If you’re taking your own kit, look for municipals – we preferred Oleron and Nourmoutier to Re, Re’s a bit featureless in comparison, specially the west coast.

ampthill

I like the region between Boreaux and the coast. It offers warm days and cool evening, more comfortable than the med’. It does rain some times but less than Brittany.

I like the huge beach which has good surf (lacanua ocean and Hourtin Plage). But the waves are better for robust teenagers than younger kids. We camped here pre kids say 25 years ago

http://www.camping-cote-dargent.co.uk/

Very little town and you can walk to the beech

More recently we camped here

http://www.le-tedey.com/campsite-france-gironde.html

This on one of the amazing lakes. So safe warm swimming and water sports. Good water sports rental a short way away, thermal winds give good sailing and windsurfing. You can drive or cycle to the beech to surf. The whole area is well connected with cycle paths

But much as I love it the area is a cultral dessert. No ruins or castles. It just depends what you want. It’s fine for me but less good for my wife

Scapegoat

Camping Sequoia Parc. Stunning site, absolutely loved it. It’s Les Castels, a measure of reasonable quality.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘France, atlantic coast – holiday park recommendations’ is closed to new replies.