Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Framing and hanging an OS map
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

Has anyone any good cheap ideas on how to do this? I have an OS map of the local area that I’d like to have on the wall but it’s a fair size at 100x89cm and purpose made frames are pretty pricey.

Has anyone done the same and found cheaper alternatives or had success done a diy effort?

ourmaninthenorth

Custom framing only here – it does look great though, so good luck finding the right solution!

mav12
    Free Member

picture from car boot sale couple of quid , salvage frame, although that does sound an odd size

Onzadog
    Free Member

While not get the map cut down to the size of the frame? Is it critical that it all appears in the frame?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I assume you bought a rolled map – OS do them rather than folded and you can custom print with your house at centre or located such as to get most interesting fearures. I’ve bought a few as gifts for friends.

Framing, sorry always go custom as map is large. Your budget alternative is just to put it on a large piece of light fibre board and then a simple wooden frame with no glass. Its the proper glass which is so expensive and imho plastic is a poor choice

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate has one by his hallway, and it’s faded quite badly. So keep it out of direct sun 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ new map is £8 though, tell the cheapskate to buy another 😉

BTW Admiralty charts make great pictures too, favourite bay or estuary

globalti
    Free Member

Why frame it and hang it?

This is waaay better; custom map wallpaper: http://www.custom-wallpaper-printing.co.uk/custom-wallpaper-maps.html

tomd
    Free Member

Glue to a large sheet of thin board and varnish over a few times would be a cheapish option.

siwhite
    Free Member

My parents have just the same thing (OS Select it’s called, with the map centred on wherever) – they had it laminated with a matt film and placed on a sheet of board. Much better than ours, which is framed behind glass – our map has wrinkled slightly…

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Globalti – you are now responsible for serious disharmony in the plums household. We’re in the process of buying a house with a through-lounge and now you have inspired me to get Swaledale wallpaper all down one wall. It’s gonna be a hard sell….

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Good ideas. I think I’ll probably go down the route of sticking it to a backing but may look into how much glass and beading would be to make my own frame.

househusband

IKEA do a large frame almost big enough… I just folded over wee bits top and bottom.

slowster
    Free Member

I paid around £50 for custom framing of an OS map a few years ago, which I thought was good value for money.

If you DIY, one thing to consider will be using anti-reflective glass.

zzrmatt
    Free Member

I got a “My Manor” map from these chaps: http://www.mapworks.co.uk/ worth the cost and was top quality.

vickypea
    Free Member

We have 4 OS maps covering the Peak District which we pasted onto the wall like wallpaper. Looks great!

hammerite
    Free Member

I had 2 geological maps of Britain (one north/one south) hung on my lounge wall when I shared a house with a mate (geologist). They looked fantastic and was a talking point when people came round.

They were custom framed.

phiiiiil

I made my own frame; thin ply base, covered in cork tiles (so I can stick pins in it) with some wooden moulding like this around the edge as a frame.

Works really well, looks okay to me. In hindsight I should have used two layers of cork tiles as the pins are slightly longer than the tiles are thick, but meh.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Framing and hanging an OS map’ is closed to new replies.