Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Frame welders – Aluminium, near Oxford ?
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Anyone know of somewhere I can get some welding done on a frame ? Im near Oxford and its Aluminium.

I have broken one of the ISCG tabs off and need to get it put back on as soon as possible 🙁

rkk01
    Free Member

I always understood that welding an aluminium frame was a no-no…?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It can be done. However teh final strength of the repair and the metal around the repair relies not just on the skill of the welder but on the type of aluminium that is being welded.

It might need heat treatment afterwards and a proper repair will be expensive. For an iscg tab I personally wouldn’t bother – I’d be looking for a different solution

RustyMac

This was just posted up in another thread

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11453

could be a solution if the old tab can’t be fixed.

rkk01
    Free Member

might need heat treatment

Which was why I thought welding alu wasn’t a goer…

Trimix
    Free Member

The broken tab will need to be welded back on, its integral to my Hammerschmidt. So long as its welded on flat like the other two that have not broken off it should be OK.

Can you recommend anyone ?

adeward
    Free Member

you might try

vulcandezign guy called Jo White
    vulcandezign@yahoo.co.uk in wheatley

i suspect you will need to get the bb faced and thread chased after

Trimix
    Free Member

Thanks Ade, I will check them out tomorrow.

scotsman
    Free Member

If its just one of the three lugs thats broken off, just get the area built up with enough weld so you can drill and retap the hole, get whoever does it to build a fair bit of “meat” around where the new hole will be then file down the shape just to tidy up, reface and chase thread. I had this done a couple of years ago and its still going strong.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Frame welders – Aluminium, near Oxford ?’ is closed to new replies.