• This topic has 66 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by csb.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Frame Tolerance, Is This Acceptable?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

I wouldn’t count on the rack bosses being especially straight. It’s also hard to tell with those tubes, it could be differences in the welds.

compositepro
    Free Member

^^^^^^

After all the discussion on this forum about how ace it is even if its made in the Far East I don’t know how you dare question the position of the rack mounts or welds

bencooper
    Free Member

Rack mounts aren’t the kind of thing I’d take critical measurements from. They should be reasonably straight, but I wouldn’t count on it. The critical measurement is whether the axle is perpendicular to the seat tube, and to measure that you either need a frame jig, or a straight wheel you can eyeball against the seat tube.

compositepro
    Free Member

^^^^^
    I don’t think the. Sarcasm was delivered

bencooper
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure 🙂

Besides, I thought everyone knew that unbranded eBay frames were just as good anyway?

jairaj

I don’t get why every one is asking for measurements etc..

Is the wheel properly in the drop out? if yes, is the wheel still off centre? If yes, send it back to get a replacement.

martinxyz
    Free Member

It was made perfect. Just a pain that it got colder the past month and it cooled down a little too quick ;O)

brant
    Free Member

Why i think one drop out is lower than the other.

I can see how you might think that, but that really will have no effect on anything at the other end when it’s jigged.

enfht
    Free Member

Misaligned dropouts could cause the wheel to do this, have you double-checked them?

jonba
    Free Member

Don’t know if someone has already said this but is your wheel right?

Rear wheels are not symmetrical with respect to the flanges and need to be dished IIRC this means the rim sits closer to the drive side flange. This allows for the cassette on the driveside

If someone who built the wheel didn’t know this the rim will be symetrical to the flanges and look off centre when in the frame.

Do you have another wheel to try?

wwaswas

on’t know if someone has already said this but is your wheel right?

he swtiched wheel around and the offset is the same, ergo rim is central on the hub but not central in frame.

Has the OP spoken to the supplier yet?

rootes1

Don’t know if someone has already said this but is your wheel right?

i.e. i can’t be bother to read from the start in the OP stating he had aleady reversed the wheel to check for dish .. c:roll:

bencooper
    Free Member

If someone who built the wheel didn’t know this the rim will be symetrical to the flanges and look off centre when in the frame.

They’d have to be a total klutz to do this, as every trueing jig out there centres between the axle ends not the flanges.

WayneKing
    Free Member

Ok Cannondale have received the bike back and they say it was a problem with the dish of the wheel?! Despite me trying the wheel in the dropout both ways when i received the bike the which is the most obvious thing to try first, despite the wheel being swapped round the gap always remained the same 5mm less on the none drive side, ie there was is no fault with the dishing of the wheel, i didn’t measure the spokes (not that would matter anyway) but wouldn’t the wheel being on a single speed hub have the same size spokes both sides, making the wheel impossible to build with the dish that far out, maybe the spokes/hubs are A symetrical??? hmmm…

I thought i’d ask on here first before i sent the bike back, thanks to all those who responded, (i know a few of you) and appreciate the input from the experience bike builders on here, Tim, Brant etc. To put this into some kind of context I’m a qualified mechanic and used to prepare race cars and motorcycles for a living, so not really a numpty when it comes to what’s right and what wrong as far as engineering goes, i could maybe should have rigged something up to measure the bike before i sent it back (but why should i have too?) Just thought i’d ask on here in case i’d missed something obvious.

Anyway the outcome being they wont send me another frame i can have the original one back with the wheel dishing corrected?!

Anyway the saga continues…

brant
    Free Member

You are correct in saying that if the wheel is swapped around and the offset remains on the same side, then there is an issue with stay alignment.

What I would say is that stay misalignment doesn’t automagically mean wheel misalignment along the frame.

I don’t understand why you’re discussing spoke lengths though. It doesn’t matter what the dish is… if the “wrongness” remains constant whichever way around the wheel is fitted, then the frame is out of track and the wheel is dished correctly.

This is what’s happening? Right?

Junkyard
    Free Member

What Brant said

but wouldn’t the wheel being on a single speed hub have the same size spokes both sides, making the wheel impossible to build with the dish that far out, maybe the spokes/hubs are A symetrical??? hmmm…

Technically you could build any wheel out of dish and nowing the spokes lengths wont help you know whether it is in dish or not

You can make a cardboard dishing tool ?

Cut some cardboard to make a square [ ie 90 degree] U that touches on the rime and measure to the hub – do the same on the other side
    If its not equal then its out of dish – given you are its about mm this is only a rough guide

julianwilson
    Free Member

I will add my voice to the many saying if you rule out too much paint inside the drive side dropout, (which would have been literally a two-minute check-and-fix for Cannondale CS), and the rim is skewed too far in the same direction whichever way round you put it in the frame then it is the frame which is at fault not the wheel.

This is shaping up to be some top PR for Cannondale Customer Services 😆

WayneKing
    Free Member

Hi Brant, yeah the “wrongness remains constant”.

Obviously i first thought “the dish is out on the wheel!” swapping it round the “wrongness remained” ie wheel always remains 5mm closer to the non drive seatstay/chainstay, it doesn’t switch sides.

Maybe they’ve just “cold set” the frame to correct it ;).

SidewaysTim

Where do you live? Take the frame to a decent shop with some dropout alignment tools and get it checked properly by someone who know’s what they’re looking for. I’ll have a look if you’re nearby, take about 30 seconds.

WayneKing
    Free Member

Hi Tim, yeah It’s Jon… the one who crashes into Klein’s at Cannock (now that back wheel did have dishing problem!), happy days!lol, will see what happens with it, and what they send back if anything! Never had this problem with my Inbred 😉

fibre
    Free Member

Surprised to see a new Cannondale like that, any decent LBS would have sent that straight back before it got to the customer. One of the hazards with buying online. Insist on a refund (or at least a replacement) and see if there’s any decent local deals, saves hassle in the long run.

SidewaysTim

Jon you melon, get it over here at some point. And start riding with us again.

nedrapier

You can make a cardboard dishing tool ?

He’s done that already, using the frame. Wheel was in an identical position both ways round -> axle nut to wheel centre is same both sides -> dishing spot on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, get it looked at properly – check whether the wheel is in loine with the plane of the frame – it could be out in several ways.

It’s possible that the wheel is properly aligned but one seatstay is closer in than the other, but very unlikely IME.

BigJohn

Hi Tim, yeah It’s Jon… the one who crashes into Klein’s at Cannock (now that back wheel did have dishing problem!), happy days!lol

Yes, but I fixed that wheel enough so we could all finish the Thursday night Sideways ride, didn’t I? And weren’t you on that carbon bike purple one side, yellow the other?

Still remember it, makes me laugh every time.

WayneKing
    Free Member

Hi Tim and John 🙂 This is a bike i’ve bought for riding in the winter! so i might come out for a blast when i have time.

They sent me another bike last Tuesday with a frame that no longer has the problem, ie the wheel is now centred with regards to the seat tube and stays, cheers to all those who replied.

csb

Same wheel? So they were fobbing you off the first time? Not a good advert for Cannondale.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Frame Tolerance, Is This Acceptable?’ is closed to new replies.