Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Frame swap dilemma – DH bikes so not for everyone!
  • rhid

I have a specialized Status in Small. Its great, a nice build rides well but I feel it a little bit too short. So I’m stuck on what to do.

Do I sell the frame, get a new frame and swap bits over?
    Sell the whole get something new (new to me anyway not brand new)?
    Live with it as is?

All have pros and cons. What would you do?
    Budget is obviously a big issue. For arguments sake say I have £1000 to spend.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Depends, what bits do you have , what condition are they in? And how old is the frame?

mindmap3
    Free Member

If you like the bits on it, I’d just do a free swap assuming that everything will fir a new frame but this may be harder than it sounds as Spesh tend to do their own thing e.g still run 135mm real ends on DH bikes when most companies now use 150mm rear ends.

A bigger, longer DH bike does feel better. I went from a medium Demo to a long carbon and am much happier on it.

breninbeener

Dude, you gave me a 150mm rear wheel if you want it back!

rhid

I did didnt I!

The Status runs 135mm rear and 73mm cranks. I liked a Demo frame but it was 150mm rear and 83mm cranks. So a straight swap is a bit more awkward. The bits on it are fine, drive train is a bit tired but still ok. Im happy with the forks etc.

I think something a bit longer would be good, hence wanting the change.

I really like the FSR suspension platform so would happily get a Demo, but finding one at the right price is not as easy as I thought! The frame I liked on Pinkbike was a 2011 but on for £600. I saw a 2012 full build sell for under £950 on ebay. That kind of makes the frame only option seem expensive…

Dark-Side

The 135mm rear and 73mm bb make me a frame swap challenging, plus adding in costs like new cables, headsets etc..

I’d sell the Status and get a new (used) bike. There are some real 26″ bargains about. I picked up a 3yr old Mondraker Summum in excellent condition recently for a grand.

rhid

Yeah, thats my thinking really.

I think I will hold off for a month until the Alps season finishes and maybe then try my luck! There is not much out there at the minute. If anyone knows of something though do let me know!

rhid

Yeah, thats my thinking really.

I think I will hold off for a month until the Alps season finishes and maybe then try my luck! There is not much out there at the minute. If anyone knows of something though do let me know!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Full bikes are a bargain; but that means yours will be too when it comes to selling it.

When I was replacing my stolen Demo earlier this year, there were a lot of good options for just over a grand complete including lots of Demo’s and a few Wilson’s.

rhid

I’m realistic about the price I’d get for mine. I got it cheap so will sell it for cheap too. I will keep my eyes open and see. There is no huge rush, but ideally I want something for September for the BDS in Llangollen.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Pearce cycles in Ludlow had a brand new 26″ demo frame for £500 at their last race. Your forks etc would swap straight over, you’d just need a new rear wheel and chainset. Size small only though I think, but worth asking.

Northwind

There’s a few other 73/135 frames- 224 Evo, at least some Scott Voltages, Last Herb DH are ones I know of. Whether or not they tick your boxes is another question.

rhid

Thanks for the Pearce cycles info.

Had a look and they have a 2012 + 2013 new demo frame in Small. 500-595 respectively.

So the question I have is regarding reach and stack.
    Demo= Reach 410 and stack 593mm
    Status = Reach 420 and stack 648

I have been trying to figure out how this would make the bike feel but I am too stupid. CAn someone explain in simple terms this please?

beiciwr64
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Frame swap dilemma – DH bikes so not for everyone!’ is closed to new replies.