Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Frame suggestions for cheap AM\Enduro full suss build Or swap urs for my trance
  • endorphinix
    Free Member

Hi looking for a 150\160mm ish travel frame, thinking of giant Reign or similar, any recommendations? Don’t mind older and budget £300 Max for frame & shock. Looking for suggestions so I can keep my eye out.

Keen to hear any other budget self builds. Have a 29er anthem for racing but need a play bike for more aggressive trail riding and odd enduro event. Be great if it wasn’t a beast to pedal uphills!

Oh and I have a 26″ Trance x Alloy frame to swap, its 2nd Gen (vertical shock position, but still the shorter 100mm travel.) So made good xc all day bike. No shock on it at moment.

Cheers Keith

endorphinix
    Free Member

Any suggestions? Always ridden xc race bikes so not got much experience of larger travel bikes. K

scruff9252

Sounds like an older kona would meet your requirements, Kona Dawg (150mm rear travel) perhaps?

Its more of a low gear, grind out the climbs kinda bike but descends really well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ebay, pink bike, STW classifieds at that price you are looking for no cracks or big dents.

chakaping
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel from a couple of years ago could be a good bet.

Dirt cheap now, very burly and ride like they’ve got more travel than their 140mm.

Probably the most fun trail bike I’ve owned TBH, but not an enduro race machine (bit heavy and probably needed a volume reducer in the shock).

tall_martin

I’ve had a 2005 reign since 2006, its still ace after all this time.

Its been to the alps both dh and singletrack

Its been down ft william and not put a foot out of place

Its fun out on 30 mile rides in the peaks

Its ace at trail centers.

You should be able to find one well within your budget.

tmb467
    Free Member

There’s a lad selling a Scott Voltage frame (only) for about 250 on mtb trader on FB. I’d wager you’d get it around £200

I’d built one up before as a 160/160 enduro build with a monarch plus shock. You could do the same but with a cheaper coil shock for around the £300 mark all in (if you can bargain).

Modern-ish geometry, tapered headtube and not overly heavy. Mine weighed in eventually around 30lbish

It is a freeride bike so strong and not great uphill but if you’re fit and able then it’ll do anything.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

what about a Specialized Pitch they are quite cheap now

Northwind

I’ve been looking at that voltage for ages, tempting…

Some of the usual suspects are already mentioned- Pitch and Wolfridge are classics, Wolfridge is a wee bit short arguably but ace. Pitch always seems a wee bit expensive as a used frame considering at one point you could get a whole new bike for £900… Orange Patriot 66- you need to watch older ones but the most recent ones still seem pretty current, 27.2 seatpost and straight steerer aside- ace bikes and can be great value. Metas too.

But basically if you’re on a budget don’t shop for a particular frame, just go on pinkbike and ebay and see what’s available.

kayak23

The original mega?
    I have one and it’s great. I got it second hand but brand new for 400 so was pretty lucky. With the new models out and all this wheel size nonsense, you’d probably pick up one for not too much.

Great frame.

tmb467
    Free Member

There’s an Ellsworth Moment frame and shock on PB at the min (not mine)

Think he wants £300 – but bearings might cost the same to maintain 🙂

mildred

If you were willing to stretch your budget a little for something a bit special, I’m gonna be selling my Nicolai Helius ST frame soon. It would be without a shock, but it will accommodate either 215 or 222mm air or coil shock.

With the 215x63mm shock it has 144mm, 162mm, 183mm & 204mm travel (4 mount holes)
    With the 222x70mm shock it has 160mm, 180mm, 203mm & 227mm travel.

Long, slack and very stable. It’s a Size medium.

With BOS vip’r & Devilles, tubeless ex823 on hope pro2s, reverb & hammerschmidt it was 35lb so would easily build closer to 30lb.

Email me on: mark2404 AT icloud DOT com

Tracey

If you keep an eye out and be prepared to wait you can pick up a good secondhand Specialized Enduro within your budget.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

In the grand STW tradition of recommending what you’ve got: Specialized Pitch…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

El Guapo v3 pretty modern geo and they were cheap to begin with.

endorphinix
    Free Member

Wow, went away for day and come back to a heap of suggestions! Gonna be busy having a search through the sales pages mentioned.

Thanks for offer Mildred but budget is super tight. Will go have a browse for some of the above! Cheers all

endorphinix
    Free Member

Anybody have an Orange Alpine to offer a view on it?

Nonsense
    Free Member

Trek Remedy?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Frame suggestions for cheap AM\Enduro full suss build Or swap urs for my trance’ is closed to new replies.