Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Frame speculation – Blue Pig X
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Well, there I was checking the classifieds and eBay for a BFe (or maybe a Handjob) looking to spend up to £200 and then I get an e-mail from CRC about some ‘mega’ sale. Out of interest I check the hardtail frames and lo and behold they have a Ragley Blue Pig X with swapout dropouts for half price at £200.

Bu&&er…

Do I get the Ragley instead? Riding would be the sort of stuff in the FoD and trail centres.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve just seen tumbleweed blow through this thread.

Have Ragley fallen so out of favour with the STW massive that nobody can be bothered to proffer and opinion on 2nd hand BFe v. new Blue Pig X?

chiefgrooveguru

Really different geometry – I think I’d prefer the BFe for those locations though you may not.

AlexSimon

It’s probably a great (but heavy) frame if you’ve bought into the long and slack geometry.
    But to be honest, since Brant left, Ragley don’t seem to be very alive.

I haven’t heard much about the full sus bikes that were shown last autumn.

Their website’s main news is a t-shirt design competition from Feb. Their twitter feed was last used in November.

It’s a shame really. The guys on the stand showing off the full sus bikes seemed to be knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

But I know I’d probably feel my money was going to a better place with Cotic.

bigblackshed

The Blue Pig is a bargain at £200. And a real hooligans bike. You have to throw it about. I am and I can. That’s why I love mine with 140mm forks.

IMO the BFe with the recommended 100 – 160mm forks is the rich mans, tough as f*** ‘ard tail. Rides sweet at 120mm. A bit of a lump at 160mm. If you run it at 120mm you might as well have the Soul. Rides nicer with the same fork. Unless you’re a big clumsy heffer like me.

My money would go on the Blue Pig. Altough I do like Cotics.

Not much help really.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I had a blue pig x from crc as well . I loved it and it rode beautifully . Wasn’t heavy or poorly finished , when built up Ben my Gf commented on how good it looked and she never bothers to raise her head when I’m playing with my bikes .

Rickos
    Free Member

That’s my problem. My other bike is a Stumpy EVO, so the slack thing is covered, so (rhetorical question that I’m asking myself) do I want something slack in a hardtail or a bit of ying to the stumpy yang and make it a bit steeper and nimbler?

bigblackshed

Rickos – Member
    That’s my problem. My other bike is a Stumpy EVO, so the slack thing is covered, so (rhetorical question that I’m asking myself) do I want something slack in a hardtail or a bit of ying to the stumpy yang and make it a bit steeper and nimbler?

29er rigid single speed??? You will have to grow a beard / get a wood burner / live in a cave. 😉 😉

chiefgrooveguru

What do you like about the Stumpy and what don’t you like? Pick the hardtail that comes closest to matching/fixing those attributes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They are fairly different frames.

If you want to use 100mm travel forks get the cotic, if you want to use 140mm travel forks get the ragley.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When I was in the market for a steel long travel HT it was the Pig and Piglet I started looking at (they are stocked by my LBS). I’ve seen other riders with them, very capable on the jumps etc and lots of positive feedback from owners.

However as I looked into things more carefully I decided to go with a BFe running 150/120 adjustable forks. I’m delighted with the bike and the travel adjustment gives me the handling options.

You can get a new BFe for £300 (“old” frame design which is what I have and am very happy with) for £329 for the very latest one.

FWIW when I contacted Cotic they were very helpful and responsive and the product is high quality. Ragley were rather slow in getting back to me and not really on the ball, they do seem to have lost their corporate mojo.

I’d say buy what you want/think is best and don’t let £100 or so sway you one way or another.

Rickos
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m thinking I should stick with my original plan of going for the more versatile BFe. Currently using an old Chameleon with u-turn forks mostly somewhere between 100 and 120mm.

EDIT – BFe would be 2nd hand, so about the same £200 as the sale Pig at CRC.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the chameleon?

alpin
    Free Member

when built up Ben my Gf commented

your GF is called Ben?

what i don’t get with the Bfe is that it is essentially a beefed up Soul, sharing the same geometry. now the Soul is designed for 120mm of travel. why should the Bfe work better with a 150mm fork? not really a LT HT if it is designed for a 120mm fork, is it?

however a friend recently bought a Bfe after asking me about steel frames- steel frames being a rarity here in Germany, another friend built up a 456 a few years back on my advice, too. the Bfe does look nice in the blue and the finish is top. although my mate has the 456 in “that” blue and it too is lovely. both heavy hitting builds.

Rickos
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the chameleon?

Ha! Don’t try and divert me from getting a new frame. I know your type…

Seriously, nothing. I asked myself that question this morning when I rode in to work via some trails. It’s a bit too small, but I can probably live with that for how little use it gets.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ha don’t ask how Ben got in there !! Maybe typing on an iPhone in the bath 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Ha don’t ask how Ben got in there !! Maybe typing on an iPhone in the bath

you’re in the bath with Ben? is your GF there too?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Frame speculation – Blue Pig X’ is closed to new replies.