Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Frame sizing help
  • prawny

I’ve decided the bossnut is going back and I’m getting myself a nice hard tail.

Pretty much settled on the Vitus Sentier VR from CRC but as normal I’m between sizing. I’m 5’10 (178cm) and they recommend a 17″ which has a 605ett and 418mm reach which is a bit short by modern standards. 19″ is 630ett and 440mm reach which is better but then it’s touch and go on the seat tube length as to whether I can fit a decent length dropper in there.

Any sage advice as to whether the 17″ would be long enough? I sat on angiant fathom today which has similar figures and felt good, but it’s hard to tell in the shop and there’s no chance of a test ride.

I’m seeing towards the 17″ but theres that niggle.

rickon
    Free Member

If you’re set on that exact bike, then definitely the 19″. 418mm reach is pretty short.

Not looking at the geometry, the seattube must be pretty slack, as it’s a long top tube for a moderate reach on the large.

I’d recommend checking out the Bird AM or TR, or Orange Crush. They have shorter seat tubes and longer reaches, which is ideal for those of average height that find themselves between sizes.

prawny

Bird and Orange are over budget unfortunately.

Reach does seem oddly short, does it change through the travel on a HT. 73° seat tube and 66.5 HT.

Would love a bird, if they could do me one with a dropper for £900ish I’d snatch their hands off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andy4d

I am 5’11” and am always between sizes and hate it. I’d go smaller if you ride tight techy stuff and larger if it’s more single track/cross country imo. The sentier gets decent reviews too. I find the stack to be more of an issue than reach for me. I like the feeling of longer reach but find the stand over is the issue for me.

rickon
    Free Member

does it change through the travel on a HT

If you take the same frame and put a longer fork on it, then the reach will decrease, as the frame lifts at the front end, you tilt the saddle down to compensate – both of these result in the effective top tube, and reach reducing.

However, it’s not true to say that the more travel a bike has the shorter the reach. Indeed, this is actually the opposite due to trends Enduro / AM bikes have longer reaches than XC bikes – in part due to XCers wanting longer stems and narrower bars, and Enduro’ists wanting shorter stems and wider bars

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Frame sizing help’ is closed to new replies.