Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Frame rub – how much before I die?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I set off for a ride and realise the back of the bike felt funny. Looking down I saw a nice big tyre bulge. I returned to the garage and noticed the bulge had been rubbing against the frame and had removed the paint.

How thick are the rear stays on a Scott Strike? The spoke is there to give some scale. The dent is about 1/2 the thickness of the spoke.

Bulge

Frame rub

Next to a spoke

With a spoke

imnotverygood

For most people I would think that would be ok. In your case……

trail_rat
    Free Member

scott strike you say .

must be the last known whole one in existance

you have more chance of the headtube coming off

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The rest of the frame is carbon fibre so cannot fail!

This is the second rear swing arm. Damn aluminium, who would use that to build frames?

dmorts

Bit OT but after looking at buying some secondhand forks, quite a few people seem to think that large amounts of cable rub is normal wear and tear. I’ve seen forks with massive gouges in the crown. Why not patch it as soon as it rubs? Also lising frame rub “due to loading on a bike rack” as being normal annoys me, no need, just bit a bit more careful. Damage from rock strikes, crashes, etc is fine though 🙂

float
    Free Member

just put some duck tape round it and itll be fine. out of sight out of mind.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Smeared some mud over it and fitted a narrow tyre – problem solved!

andyl
    Free Member

Full suspension? Probably less of a problem than on a hard tail I would imagine. Get some PU frame tape wrapped around it to protect it from any more rub. Make sure it’s clear so you can see any cracks appear.

plus-one

This is where good bike keeping comes into play.. Wash n clean every few rides you’d have spotted it ages ago.. That mud looks well crusted 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

plus_one – It wasn’t there yesterday when I fitted a new chain, nor was the bulge in the tyre. From this I conclude that the the spilt, bulge and frame rub occurred at some point during the 7 mile ride I did yesterday.

Not sure about you but I find stopping to clean my bike every few miles ruins the flow of the ride, let alone my Strava times 😉

rickmeister

Think you will be ok, I had a week downhilling on this before I found it when back home. Caused by Kevlar cable sheath rub.:

There is a hairline crack on the weld here too

And this was going on at the rear dropout…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

rickmeister – I like your style. I am going to ride and live to tell the tale.

PS – It is a bit out of focus but it looks like your patio needs tidying and the grass cutting

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

😯

OMG!

Like. How. Do. People. Actually. Do. This. To. Bikes?? 😯

…surely a cursory glance now and then, just to check things over, perhaps to see where things *might* be rubbing, etc… might be a good idea?

Mine are practically licked clean from top to bottom after every ride. Jeez. 😯

imnotverygood

^you can get treatment for that…

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The damage on mine was caused during one ride and spotted before the next ride. That said, my normal maintenance schedule is quite relaxed

Klunk
    Free Member

was that rear dropout held in place by the brake adaptor ? 😯

mangatank
    Free Member

Bloody Nora rickmeister, that’s some of the nastiest cable wear I’ve ever seen. You live a charmed life clearly. Trouble is, it can happen very quickly, often within one or two rides. Forks are a classic danger point for cables sawing their way through the aluminium. A little preventative helicopter or duck tape sorts it out though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Frame rub – how much before I die?’ is closed to new replies.