Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Frame Replacement Question
  • dougieb
    Free Member

Quick question regarding frame warranties. I’ve got a 2012 Lapierre Zesty 514 that cracked. I bought the bike at the very end of 2012 so about 3 years old – the frame came with a five year warranty. The online dealer has been really good to deal with and no complaints from me – just over a week down the line and apparently they are in possession of a replacement frame from Hotlines.

I’m not sure what year the replacement frame is yet but unless it’s 2012 then I believe there’s going to be an issue with some of the component sizes – probably just the rear wheel (135mm to 142mm & headset cups) but could be more. Is it reasonable for me to expect the rear wheel and headset compatibility issue to be resolved at the dealers cost or with a 3 year old bike is this something I should just suck up. As I said the dealer has been great so far just want to understand what experience others have had in similar situation.

pickle
    Free Member

I’d say no, they seem to be doing the good thing and getting you a completely new frame. I’d say it’s down to you to sort out any compatibility issues with components.

mattyfez

I’d expect if it’s under warranty and the bike is factory standard, they should supply you with the correct frame or a revised frame with compatible headset /hub.. The dealer would be able to reclaim that cost from the manufacturer.

If a wheel broke under warranty and they sent you a square one back because square wheels are the new standard, that would be the same thing.. If they are offering warranties for 5 years then they have an obligation to honour them.

As I understand, you bought a whole bike, not just a frame.

fudge9202
    Free Member

No, had a Transition Bandit replaced under warranty and received a later new frame, was well happy and happy to sort out components myself.

mattyfez

Nonsense.. I could understand if the new warranty replacement frame was a substantial upgrade.. I’d probably be OK with adapting the rest.. But if it’s just a different size headset and you can’t use it without spending a bit of cash, then it makes a mockery of having a long warranty.

Bike manufacturers know very well axle standards and such change over time, and if they can’t honor thier warranties they have no business offering them, as I imagine a 5 year warranty is a good selling point.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

You wouldn’t warranty a car and it be sent back with doors that don’t fit just because they’ve changed.

If they have changed the frame and not kept warranty stock then imo they should make it right.

Last warranty I had they gave me a new header and crown adapter to get me sorted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Frame Replacement Question’ is closed to new replies.