Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Frame Protection
  • Bedds
    Free Member

Afternoon All,

So I’ve got a new bike coming and want to get some vinyl to protect it from stone chips, has anyone tried the Invisi-frame stuff? it looks good and (fairly) easy to fit, but at £75.00 it’s a little eye watering to say the least considering they are really only strips rather than full tube wraps

What other options do I have?

I’ve used the stuff which requires a heat gun and I didn’t particularly enjoy it to be honest having got a few burnt fingers during the process

Can anyone recommend something that they rate highly? sheets or pre cut I’m not fussed, but good quality is important

andyl
    Free Member

got a hair drier? That’s all you need for fitting tape or do the soapy water trick (not done that myself).

Don’t cut sharp corners, always radius them (internal or external corners). Only the do the bits that really need doing as damage could lead to problems – ie down tube, cable rub areas, bike clamp areas etc. It’s a bike and should have some marks 🙂

Clean frame with IPA first. Don’t overlap tape as you will end up with a gap that gets dirt inside.

AdeC
    Free Member

I realize you’ve asked for other options, but for me its Invisiframe every time. Its well worth the cash assuming they have a specific kit for your bike.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I was always against protection tape until I was looking for a nomad carbon frame. The test bronson I borrowed was a couple of years old and was covered in invisiframe. It looked as good as new. So I thought if I’m spending nearly 3k on a frame then an extra £100 to have a kit professionally fitted by invisiframe themselves to keep it looking good wasn’t too bad. Looking at how it fits around the complex curves there is no way I would want to cut my own or even worse try and fit it. I hate getting bubbles in small stickers so god knows what I would be like covering a whole bike.

Not the best pic but have a look at the detail around the top tube and head tube to see how much work is involved to get a nice neat finish

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s3Aen1]Untitled[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr

prezet
    Free Member

Invisiframe stuff is great. I’ll be putting it on all my frame from now on. Yes it’s expensive, but it’s cut perfectly to match your frame, and will save you hours trying to cut helitape yourself trying to get the same result.

I also think the stuff they use is much tougher than helitape. My frame is now almost 3 years old and still looks almost new!

Fitting it is relatively easy as long as your patient. Unlike the official instructions I used soapy water to position the tape. It’s not quite as grabby that way allowing you to reposition it until you get it where you want.

EDIT: If you ask them nicely they’ll also happily send you replacement bits of the kit if you really cock it up.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Invisiframe protection. It’s worth the money if they do it for your frame. We fitted it on the wife’s bike and I’m regretting being a cheapskate and not doing it for mine (I just, used regular helitape).

Is £50 really that much of an outlay when factored in with how much new bikes cost nowadays?

Bedds
    Free Member

Thanks all,

Invisi frame it is then, I’m getting a Capra, so they do the kit, it’s £75, not much in the grand scheme of things I guess!

Lakes_Puma

Another vote for Invisiframe, I got the owner to do my Bronson and it looks great and is really holding up well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Frame Protection’ is closed to new replies.