Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Frame protection
  • dufusdip
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I did a search and couldn’t find anything.

I’m waiting on the arrival of a new frame, a 26″ 2014 Stumpjumper Evo (cue wheel jibes) and want to protect it. I’m not convinced on my ability not to make it look like a bodge by cutting various strips of helitape so had been looking for a bespoke kit.

Emailed Invisiframe to find out if their 2011 frame kit fits the 2014 model. There’s some in the US that do it for $65 rather than £65, but does anyone have any other UK based options they could recommend?

Thanks in anticipation.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Theres these guys (not sure if UK) that have something ‘different’ to the normal tape.

http://www.allmountainstyle.com/products/ams-honeycomb-frame-guard

darrenspink
    Free Member

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

All Mountain Style are Spanish based but shipping to uk is free.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Thanks for that – hadn’t seen those ones and they look good.

Cheers!

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m sure the Invisiframe kits are good, but it’s not very hard to DIY. If you’ve got a bare (clean) frame, some 3M Heli tape and a small amount of patience, you’ll have it done within an hour no problems.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks for that – hadn’t seen those ones and they look good.

You don’t get a lot though. The biggest piece is 30cm long, and the other bits are a lot smaller. It’s not going to protect much of your frame, just for cable rub really.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Anyone actually used the AMS stuff? As Wrecker says, not much for the cash coverage wise but looks like it might be a bit more heavy duty than heli tape.

shredder
    Free Member

Have the AMS stuff on two of my bikes as said you dont get a lot, but it is excellent. Strong adhesive and looks good as well, fast delivery.
    Asked if he intended doing it in blank sheets but not as yet which is a shame.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Invisiframe kits are nice.

Seem to fit pretty good

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Shredder- how does the honeycomb texture look over time? Does it tend to collect mud and be harder to clean than a normal smooth painted frame?

skiboy
    Free Member

just buy some of this.
    http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/c-167-bike-helicopter-tapes.aspx#.VSArOFxiiYc

i put loads on my new nomad c unfortunately i didn’t put any to the right of the BB because of the huge rubber bash guard that comes on the frame, this is exactly where i got a massive stone chip on only it’s second outing !!! ahhhhh. BUT who cares. it’s going to get chipped and rubbed and scratched but it will get a lot less chipped rubbed and scratched with the 3M tape and not that mambee pambee stuff

andyl
    Free Member

3M and other “heli tapes” are PU.

That stuff above is PVC

Material wise PU >> PVC. But the bubble design is pretty good and has a lot of benefits which in a bike situation (not rotor erosion) could possibly outweigh the material difference I guess.

my 2c – go with PU tape unless you like the look of the bubble stuff.

shredder
    Free Member

@tenacious doug – haven’t noticed it collecting dirt and I have it on the under side of my downtubes. I have the 3M stuff as well from Viking also good but use each in different places . Looks as good now as when I put it on.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Invisiframe don’t do a specific kit. I like the look of the AMS stuff apart from quite so much logo placement and there’s not a lot on it. So helitape roll and some patience ordered. The patience was quite pricey though…

Any tips or pitfalls on fitting? Seen the soapy water approach but it looks all wrong. Does it help?

Superficial
    Free Member

100%. Don’t even attempt without the water – it’ll be a wonky bubbly mess before you know. The water is imperative.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Frame protection’ is closed to new replies.