Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Frame protection????
  • stonites999

Just taken delivery of a new frame and want to protect it with some sort of tape. I’ve tried helicopter tape but its a nightmare to apply. I have heard there’s a company who does pre cut frame protection packs,already cut and measured for specific bikes.

Anybody know where I can get these packs from??

Cheers Ant

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stonites – I’m pretty kack handed but helicopter tape is within my ability range. Try using sharp scissors and heating it up with a hairdrier before application.

FWIW I suspect pre-cut packs aside from being expensive will be even more of a PIA

Northwind

Aye- sharpest scissors you can find, hairdryer, isopropyl alcohol to clean everything, and very very clean hands (you’ll still probably get some fingerprints mind.

seanodav
    Free Member

Most tape can be dipped in mild soapy water (fairy liquid) then applied much easier.
    However this is probably what you were asking for, its good stuff but certainly not enough for full bike unless you split the wide bit…
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sports-cover-bike-shield-frame-protector-set/

stonites999

Sorry if I sound thick, how’s the soapy water method work???

seanodav
    Free Member

lets you move it around until its in place, then push water from underneath

Scapegoat

I use the stuff off ebay, from jrsports It’s good thick stuff, and as long as you make sure the paint/finish is dust and grease free (Isopropyl Alcohol/brake cleaner) and don’t touch the adhesive side it goes on well. Cut the edges rounded, as square corners lift and trap dirt. Use a hairdrier to smooth it on, as this makes sure it conforms to the surface better.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqgH7glKsOo&feature=related[/video]

barkit
    Free Member

I have to mention that I had the case of helitape sticking so well to the paint that it actually removed part of it when trying to detach the tape.

Moreover, this is purely aesthetic but you clearly see zones where helitape is applied and they really contrast with the naked frame, plus if your frame is white helitape turns yellowish after some time (some brands at least).

gb1m
    Free Member

^^
    Use a hair-dryer to when your removing the tape, it makes it alot easier and polish out where you can see where the tape has been

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Frame protection????’ is closed to new replies.