Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Frame or forks? Which is the most important?
  • mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

Hi
    I’ve finally saved enough money for the deposit for a new bike. I’ve had my heart set on a Santa Cruz 5010 witha the upgrade to RS revelations, however I’ve also been looking at the Heckler which doesn’t have the VVP rear linkage but does have the option of RS pikes. Everything I’ve read so far raves about the pikes!
    Is the VVP and revelations a better combination than single pivot and pikes?
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Have you had a word with the shop selling the 5010? Worth asking if they would do the 5010 with pikes and what sort of price. doesnt hurt to ask worst they can do is say no.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was browsing the SC website yesterday, and got the impression that the Bantam was the single pivot version of the Solo.

The Heckler being the SP version of the Bronson.

I’d take the single pivot & Pike myself, read a review of Heckler which said frame is lighter than the alu VPP bike anyway.

matther01
    Free Member

^^^+1

Can the 5010 take a 150 fork?

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh yeah, that’s a good point too.

😳

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I’d considered the Bantam but wanted more travel which the Revelations would give at 140mm which is the maximum the solo can take and the pikes are 150!
    Does anyone have any experience of the VVP?

matther01
    Free Member

Pikes can be lowered to 140 i think…but cost, time etc. Think LoCo has done it with 26″ forks

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve read about that but not really keen on messing about with new forks!

five7five
    Free Member

I’ve got a 5010 solo and it has revs fitted. As someone has already pointed out its a different category bike from the heckler. I tested the bronson before going for the solo because of its more playful nature.
    The solo is not designed for a 150 fork and Santa Cruz may not honour warranty a frame fitted with a pike (I did ask when I bought mine from Stif).

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

How do you rate the VVP and revs?

five7five
    Free Member

The VPP is much better now that the old one fitted to the blur etc.
    I’m not sure what they have done to it but it accelerates and climbs so much better than my old 2012 Blur LT
    the solo is a 125 mm rear end and fitting a 150 may spoil it’s handling.

five7five
    Free Member

2014 revs are excellent and pretty light too. Fit set and forget.

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

If you don’t mind me asking why did you choose the solo over the Bronson?
    Alu or carbon?

five7five
    Free Member

I had every intention of buying a bronson but the guys at stif advised me to take both on test.
    The Bronson requires aggression all of the time to get the most out of it. It felt far less nimble than the solo but chomped through big stuff with ease. 5 seconds on the Solo C and I said to myself “I’m having it”.
    As a trail bike it is superior to the bronson

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

Thanks, I guess the same would apply to the Heckler/Bantam then?

five7five
    Free Member

Considering a test ride on them 😉
    I love my 26 heckler so I’d be interested to see how the 27.5 wheel changes it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Frame or forks? Which is the most important?’ is closed to new replies.