Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • frame mod questions (SS Soul content)
  • yunki
    Free Member

I thought I was cured of my bike fetish having found my ideal bike but finding myself riding SS more and more, I feel some tinkering coming on..

ATM I’m using a tensioner but crave the clean lines of an EBB or SS dropouts..
    A new frame is out of the question so I’m thinking of getting a framebuilder to add alternator dropouts (of some description) or a new bb shell to allow an EBB..

Can this be done on a Soul without compromising the characteristics of the frame?

I like the idea of a Simple Soul

joshvegas
    Free Member

Track ends are a pain in the bum but probably quite cheap to get done.

EBB i imagine is a nightmare to do if even possible as you’re chopping all the frame tubes to make room.*

I bet you anything though selling the frame will make buying a new one cheaper is less expensive.

* 100% guesswork

Andy-R

Get an Excentriker EBB converter, or a Forward Components one (s/h as it’s no longer made). I used an Excentriker for a few years on an Explosif frame – did the job well enough if a bit fiddly to adjust.

yunki
    Free Member

I can’t sell the frame..
    It’s a classic Soul, pre-CEN and limited edition colour and it came to me in mint condition for a pittance..
    I bought it knowing that if it ever breaks I will get it fixed, it’s a keeper so modifying it seems like the logical solution..

That said I’m probably a little bit too sentimentally attached, and even as I’ve posted the idea on here I’m thinking that maybe I should preserve the essence of this classic frame and get summink else..

I’m still interested to hear people’s thoughts on the idea though

Andy R – an exentricker (or similar) was my first thought as well, but I’d not seen that many good things written about them..

The forward control jobbie seemed to be the more popular choice but not easy to find one

basstronic
    Free Member

Buy my simple?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Speak to ben cooper – Kinetics- of this parish as he does mods

IMHO – I have had both and currently run a SS only frame with EBB- its functionally no better than tensioner though it does look better. However 99.9% of my interactions with the bike involving not looking at it and riding it. Personally i woudl not pay much for a change you wont notice when riding

YMMV

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/framebuilding/frame-repairs-modifications/

New rear dropouts (sliding, for Rohloff): £150
    New main frame tube: £85
    New front end (down tube, top tube, head tube): £185
    New back end (seatstays, chainstays, dropouts and bridges): £185
    New bottom bracket shell: £12

yunki
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve been looking at the framebuilders sites JY and was kind of pleasantly surprised at the cost of the modification, my question really is in relation to how much tubing would need to be removed (or not)

I totally take your point on form/function thing but these compulsions aren’t always driven by logic 🙂

heh! your Simple would be ideal Basstronic.. It’s even the right colour! 😳

I’m between sizes on Cotics though and have a small.. I’d be interested to try a medium..
    However.. this is a completely theoretical exercise and there will be no new frames or modifications until autumn at the soonest

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO get the Excentriker EBB converter

Might get one second hand, will have resale value and does not materially alter the frame so it will handle the same and your frame has kept its value and integrity- tries rational approach.

Its about the same price as a frame mod and you can pick a pretty colour – tries to appeal to non rational side 😉

dawson

If you are that attached to it, I think hacking at the frame would be a bad idea.

Keep it original and use it as a chance to apply n+1

slimjim78
    Free Member

Erm, buy a Simple?

Surely similar cost or cheaper than adapting your special Ltd frame. Which if breaks and is fixed, will no longer retain its specialness.

yunki
    Free Member

You’re not familiar with the Japanese philosophy of wabi-sabi then slimjim78?

A second hand simple would be a similar cost yeah..
    It’s restrictive though, what if I want to do an epic all-dayer on the moors and fancy sticking gears on for the weekend?

n+1 doesn’t apply in my house..

Del

did cotic carry on with the simple beyond CEN?
    other option, if the hassle you’re having is with the tensioner and getting the wheel in and out, would be to use a bb mounted chain device as a tensioner. did it for a while with my old genesis. works pretty well, and quite a neat solution IMO.

nedrapier

I’d go down the excentricker/philcentric route. Safer on the frame, probably a sight cheaper too.

Philcentric doing the job on my old Dekerf:

shermer75
    Free Member

White Industries ENO Eccentric Rear Hub

Charlie the Bikemonger

Del

or i suppose if you’re feeling flush the white industries eccentric hub….

slimjim78
    Free Member

I am Yunki – have always been a fan of spicy food.

If a 2nd bike isnt a possibility then your options are more ltd. I would personally source a suitable frame capable of both your requirements and store your fave frame for a rainy day. Either that or for a tensioner on your Soul.

TBH sticking gears back on a frame is only slightly less faff than rebuilding a different frame. Built my Simple back up in the garage the other day in about 20mins, including transfer of headset cups. One of the joys of SS

zero-cool
    Free Member

If it’s got sliding dropouts can you not fit a pair of chain tugs (BNX) style? They’re pretty unobtrusive and stealth.

Tom KP

yunki
    Free Member

Definitely some more palatable options there.. Philcentric looks good..

qwerty
    Free Member

I just sold an exzentricker for £75 on eBay, it works well, but depending on your chain length/gearing it may still require a half link. It’s fiddly to set up, but once done it’s good, I wouldn’t want to adjust it on the trail. I used a 10cm long 3mm allen key worked best.

Also just sold in a WI Eccentric Eric hub, mine was rim brake and a great piece of kit, the disc version has added faffage of the caliper mount.

amedias
    Free Member

2nd hand simple is the way to go. Get one of the last of the 26ers, they have a 2nd set of cable guides (for hub gear) so with a DMR chaintug mech hanger you can swap between SS and geared in 10 mins.

They can be found cheap too, the last one I bought* was £120 shipped with near perfect paint so probably the cheapest option out of them all.

*was orginally supposed to be a stashed in the loft spare in case I ever terminlly broke the Espresso Simple I have which is the SS twin to your Soul.

flashes
    Free Member

Avoid EBB’s they are the work of Satan. Eno rear hub, sorted…..

luket

I use the White Industries eccentric hub on my soul. Pricey, but it has worked very well for me.

dovebiker

I’ve used both Forward Components EBB and WI ENO Eccentric hub – both work well. Fwd EBB is better made than Exxentriker IMO

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘frame mod questions (SS Soul content)’ is closed to new replies.