Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Frame manufacturers please publish chain and seat stay widths.
  • TheGhost
    Free Member

I would really find it helpful if frame manufactures published the width of their frame’s chain and seat stays where the tire passes through.

Or is this just me?

jonnyboi

Plus proper headset, BB and gear hanger info.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not as simple as 1 dimension tho.

kayak23

And weight…
    Often not published.

TheGhost
    Free Member

A cross section diagram with measurements would be good

shandcycles
    Free Member

I would really find it helpful if frame manufactures published the width of their frame’s chain and seat stays where the tire passes through.

FWIW, I sort of agree. However, what tyre?

jameso

Width between stays and dimension from the axle works for 2D frame drawings of CS and SSs but dist from axle to tyre shoulder varies. I’d generally have one dimension from the axle for each rim size, based on the max tyre size the frame’s meant to fit.

shandcycles
    Free Member

One other point, I’m not sure how JamesO deals with this and how the factories deal with this but if we have a seat stay with a bend in it, particularly s-bend stays, and we use the same stay with the same bend on each size, then the tyre clearance will differ between sizes (smaller frames get less clearance). We try to shoot for a minimum published tyre clearance and accept that bigger frames will get more.

I agree it is difficult for potential customer to get a feel for this and it’s now more complicated as people start to use multiple rim sizes on the same frame (650/700).

benpinnick

Not as simple as 1 dimension tho.

Well it could be if we could all agree on a nominal tyre diameter. I know ours based on what we use for tyres in our models, but it would be useless as a comparison if each bike company made a different tyre model.

EDIT: And one thing to remember is that alot of bike companies probably don’t want you to know (I’d be happy to publish ours if we had a standard tyre dimension to work with).

thepodge
    Free Member

People really need to care less

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Frame manufacturers please publish chain and seat stay widths.’ is closed to new replies.