Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Frame is back from powdercoating !!
  • renton
    Free Member

Just got back from work to find my frame waiting for me !!

Its been down to a company called Fastline coatings and they have done a first rate job !!…..

The pictures really do not do it any justice, the colour is a lot brighter and very glossy !

Cant wait to get it rebuilt !

I would highly recommend using fastline if you are thinking of having a frame coated, The owner Stephen was always polite and responded to emails when i was pestering him ! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Steve

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

How much? What temperature did they bake it at? Colour looks sweet! 😉

Vortexracing

Glad your happy with it.

I was getting a bit worried after recommending them to you

get it built and photos quick as you like 😀

Did you get some Push bushes for it?

renton
    Free Member

Vortex im well happy with it !!.

Just got to clean a bit of media out of the seatpost hole and its getting built up.

Havent gone for the push stuff yet as the bushes and shafts I have have only done a max of 30 miles since fitting them new!

renton
    Free Member

not sure of the temp and it cost £70 !

MrSparkle

http://www.fastlinecoatings.co.uk/

I seem to remember somebody else recommending them too, ages ago. I’ve bookmarked their site for future reference.

renton
    Free Member

Thats them thanks mrsparkle !!

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Apparently baking them above 200 degrees Celsius weakens the aluminium. There have been a few posts on here about it that I had not noticed until I had recommended powder coating to half a dozen people. It would be nice to get some updates on how the frame is holding up.

Vortexracing

I asked Turner about the temp before having mine done. Greg from Turner said that most Powder coaters use ovens at 180 deg and that over 200 should not be used. When I got mine done Steve at fastline said they don’t go over 180deg.

they did my Turner

P1040761 by eastham_david, on Flickr

and after that I got them to do my Kona Unit

P1050024 by eastham_david, on Flickr

renton
    Free Member

Ah so its your unit picture on the gallery page of their website!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is 6061 not heat treated at a higher temperature than 200 DegC?

Good job, Steve, frame looks ace!.

Northwind

Looks lovely!

Does it sound like there’s grit in it? If so, and you’re not in too much of a rush to build it, pro tip- give it a bath. Dunk it and drain it as many times as you can be bothered and see what comes out. You don’t want blasting media in your bearings or scraping up your seatpost.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers

Not sure what colour decals to go for as Ive found a company that can replicate the turner one in various colours?

I was thinking either black or white?

What do you think?

renton
    Free Member

Northwind.

It looks like a bit of “sandy stuff?) down the seat tube?

Will dunking ruin the finish at all??

Northwind

You do realise you just asked if getting your bike wet is bad for it? 😆

Nah, it’ll be absolutely fine, just water. It might come out looking a wee bit duller than it went in but a wee rub down’ll bring it back up

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen: I know.

The worst thing is that due to going down south until feb Im not going to get to ride it until then !!

Vortexracing

Try Gil at the cycleshed for the decals, they did mine

renton
    Free Member

cheers vortex ! how much did they cost?

Vortexracing

not sure, I think £15

granny_ring

Looks good.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all!

bettyswollocks
    Free Member

Renton

I’d really recommend having the BB shell re-tapped. I’ve had a couple of frames shotblasted and powdercoated (by BettBlast, Newcastle, highly recommended by the way) and have found that no matter how well they’ve plugged up the holes for the blasting stage, bits of media will settle in the threads of the shell. Trying to wind the BB into the shell is almost impossible if you don’t get the threads of the frame cleaned out…

headfirst
    Free Member

So how do you go about doing this, from start to finish if you lack the skills to dismantle and rebuild your bike? What’s the approximate cost all in? I’m guessing:
    LBS strips bike, keeps everything for later.
    Take bike to powder coaters.
    Bike rebuilt at LBS.
    Who takes off and puts on new stickers?

The bike I have in mind is my Surly Disc Trucker, so steel frame and rigid fork. Ta.

renton
    Free Member

I stripped it down but if you don’t feel up to it I guess you could pay for a shop to take it apart and put it back together.

Stickers are fairly easy to put on with a steady hand!

chestrockwell

Try Gil at the cycleshed for the decals, they did mine

Gil is brilliant and always does top quality work. He’s also a machine as I saw him lead a 30 mile summer ride over the North Yorks Moors, with no water and riding single speed!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Frame is back from powdercoating !!’ is closed to new replies.