Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Frame further reduced in sale, not sure where I stand?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I bought a frame several weeks ago from Northern Ireland’s biggest online retailer… Deliberated over it for weeks as it really stretched my budget, but in the end I forked out for it along with its 20% discount.

Yesterday I saw it advertised at 25% discount, a further saving of nearly £50. Mine has only been pulled out of the box to ogle, and is completely untouched other than that. The returns policy is ‘1 year if still unused’

So, do i bother returning for refund in order to purchase again and save £50?
    Do I ask them nicely to refund difference?
    Do I suck it up?

I genuinely don’t know what to do, if anything. what would you do?

scotroutes

You must have been happy with the price when it had a 20% discount.

Oh – and NEVER buy anything from On One/Planet X or your head will explode.

mattbee

Sigh.
    You bought it at a price you were happy with. If they had put the price up would you expect them to ask you for more money now?
    Suck it up princess.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If I felt like it I’d phone them up and ask for the money.

I doubt I’d feel like it.

I wouldn’t post a thread about it.

binners

Go for it!

Any refunded money must be spent on coke and hookers

You’re not going to get much of either for that kind of money, but a principle is a principle

enjoy!

andyl
    Free Member

Just email them and ask?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Haha! I wondered how many many and quickly the hayters would pounce, but record timing here guys, bravo!

As it goes, I wasn’t ‘happy’ with the price, as I said, I spent weeks thinking about it but decided in the end to rinse the credit card in case the stock finished. The extra discount (which believe it or not I actually emailed them about prior to purchasing) would have been my ‘happy price’

Like I said, not really sure where I stand, just wondered what the collective opinion was and if you’ve done anything similar before s’all. I value your opinions x

shermer75
    Free Member

For me it would depend how much that £50 meant to me. Right now, as a student, £50 means a lot (nearly a weeks food shopping) so I’d send it back and get the cheaper frame. A couple of years ago, when I was earning good money, I would have chalked it up to karma and left it. I wouldn’t have emailed and asked for the difference, but then again there’s no harm in trying! 🙂

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

No haters. You asked for opinions and got them.

You must have been happy with the price because you bought it. I don’t think you have a legal or moral case re the extra discount, and I wouldn’t bother.

Go for a ride instead.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m not looking for a legal fight! I suppose I’m testing moral ground. I don’t like the idea of sending back for refund – carbon footprint and all that – which of course I’m perfectly entitled to do. Would almost certainly end up costing the retailer more too, would it not?

Hence it crossed my mind to try a cheeky ‘be cheaper for you to lemme have some credit’

But yeah, this is one of those where if you have to think about asking then you probably already know the answer.

mtbfix

One of modern life’s rules is that when you buy something in a sale you stop looking at that item, once bought, in case it gets cheaper.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Agreed. Lesson learned

wiggles
    Free Member

You stand nowhere… You agreed to a price and they can change that price as much as they want after…

I don’t get why people check the price of something after they bought it? When I have something new I’m to busy using it to bother checking the price again?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Surely if you return it for a refund you’ll have to pay postage costs (I think that their free Collect Plus service has a size limit). Sending a frame ‘fully insured’ isn’t cheap.

mark d
    Free Member

Suck it up! Amazes me the amount of people who put up threads like this.
    Business innit? Sell at what people are prepared to pay at the time, you already got a discount, now they are trying to get rid, they discount more.

mcnultycop

I’ve heard CRC give refunds in this situation to others. Ask, if they give you some they do. If they don’t they don’t.

bigjim

careful if it goes back to RRP then crc will ring you up asking for the 20% discount back

slimjim78
    Free Member

I don’t get why people check the price of something after they bought it? When I have something new I’m to busy using it to bother checking the price again?

Because it was advertised in my feed when browsing said website for further purchases. But good for you.

10,15,25 quid less then fair enough. But yeah, £50 is about the point where it feels like a smack in the balls.

csb

Nothing immoral about changing your mind whatever the reason. And your entitled to use the returns policy they set. It’s up to them to have a returns policy that works for them, chargeable or free.

You could have seen it cheaper at another shop down the road, just because it is the same one doesn’t matter. Whether it’s worth the hassle is your call.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO you are taking the piss but you can probably do it and get away with it

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thank you csb, for a reasoned response that was kind of in line with my chain of thought. I sleep a little easier tonight knowing that not all of stw hates me

Junkyard – yeah, it does leave a slightly bitter aftertaste so I don’t think I’d bother going through with it.

Fair enough, you lot win. CRC wins.

I’ll ride £50 harder when it’s built

rickon
    Free Member

The cheekiest option is to order the cheaper priced one, then return it as if it were the more expensive one you bought first.

CRC do free returns, so no cost to you. It’s legal. But morally grey.

Dickyboy

+1 for all the haters*

* you ask people for an opinion & then call them hayters 🙄

slimjim78
    Free Member

opinions/bum holes. Same diff.

I respect them all. Not sure the level of ridicule is necessarily required but we are where we are..

daveh
    Free Member

I asked them nicely in a ‘do I have to do a return to benefit from the reduced price?’ way. They offered vouchers to the total of the difference. I only noticed the price drop however as I was keeping an eye on stock levels for friends, we ended up buying 3 of the last 7 Trace forks they had.

scaredypants

What you’re suggesting is perfectly legal, morally not the worst IMO but potentially a big pain in the arse.
    You could just ring them, tell them your tale of woe and see if they’ll refund the difference without returning the frame.
    Or return it but endure having to pack it up & send it insured (and then hoping your carrier of choice doesn’t **** it all up somehow, as the “payout” on that might be a fight)

… are you sure they’ve got more frames ? Be a shame to send it back and then find there are no more (if somebody buys “yours” when/if it pops back up on the site)

slimjim78
    Free Member

Cheers Daveh. Maybe I’ll just drop em a polite ‘please sir’

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If 5% is worth £50 it wasn’t a cheap purchase.

My time is worth more to me than the hassle of boxing it back up, taking it to the shop/waiting for a collection, ordering another and waiting for it to show & potentially having to go & collxt it from the depot anyway.

It would need to be hundred of pounds to make it worthwhile.

If £50 means that much on what wasn’t a cheap purchase, you probably shouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

slimjim78
    Free Member

are you sure they’ve got more frames ? Be a shame to send it back and then find there are no more (if somebody buys “yours” when/if it pops back up on the site)

I’m pretty sure. Wouldn’t kill me to just leave it at full refund stage anyway, don’t need the bloody thing just want it. Banking on xmas bonus to pay it off anyhoo

slimjim78
    Free Member

you probably shouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

This.
    Pretty much story of my life.
    I should imagine said £50 certainly effects me more than said company.

poah
    Free Member

if its easy to send it back then do it. £50 is £50 I’ve done the same on other smaller items. any money in your pocket is better than someone elses.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I should imagine said £50 certainly effects me more than said company

Steady there. It sounds like you think they’ve done something wrong.

rickon
    Free Member

Or return it but endure having to pack it up & send it insured (and then hoping your carrier of choice doesn’t **** it all up somehow, as the “payout” on that might be a fight)

No it’s not its easy. Order the cheap one, open the box, removing the despatch note, go to collect+ Get a returns label for the expensive one he’s already got, slap it on the box, receive refund, drink milk and cookies, #win.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Well at least 2 people agree with you so that should appease your conscience…..you can just ignore the rest as ‘haters’.
    You can apply this in the future to justify any decision you make when anybody disagrees.

Northwind

I haven’t done it with such a long gap but it’s not very different- a polite email, “I have X in returnable condition, I see you’ve dropped the price, rather than send it back and create needless work for everyone how about a discount”

The 1 year return period is their offer, I don’t really see why you should feel guilty about using part of the service you’ve paid for tbh.

trigrwoods
    Free Member

I also agree that you are totally in your right to return your frame and buy it again at the cheaper price if you can really be bothered! Id go the send them a nice email route and see if they offer you a complimentry voucher that way you both kind of win.

trigrwoods
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

Some retailers have a specific policy for this. Have a look.

Not sure the level of ridicule is necessarily required

I refrained from calling you a bed wetteron my previous post, but now…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I don’t think you’d be taking the pi$$ if you sent it back and re-ordered one at the new lower price. Not sure I could be bothered personally for £50 though.

A lot of people though on threads about changing prices seem to think they’re owed something or been done over somehow. Don’t get that at all, it’s just one of those things.

wallop

Crikey. What happens when you buy a pair of jeans and you see them in the sale next time you go to a shop?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Frame further reduced in sale, not sure where I stand?’ is closed to new replies.