Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Frame for my daughter – help me decide please
  • grtdkad

I’m building a new bike for my 13yr old girl. She’s 5’1″ and a pretty strong rider but has outgrown her old bike.

Any way I now have two frames in the garage for her – one must go!

Theres a:
    … small, steel OnOne 456 frame which looks the dogs but weighs 4.5lbs
    … small, Alu Giant XTC SE frame. It’s a bit more generic looking but has the advantage of being a full pound lighter than the 456

What do you reckon for hilly XC riding around the Malverns? The lighter Giant or the cooler 456?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

IMHO – whichever’s cheaper, she’ll have outgrown it in a month. Not that I’d recommend being tight, but they are both nice frames so put the change in the 14th birthday present fund 🙂

grtdkad

Yeah but they’re both bought now (neither cost me more than £50)…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh sorry, I thought you meant you had two to choose from buying.

I’d guess you need to assess the reach. It’s often the reach/tt length that bugs girls on boy’s bikes. Whichever will give her the better positioning and fit. Bung wheels/forks/pedals on both in turn and ask her how they feel?

JoeG
    Free Member

Does one have more growth potential (and therefore longevity) than the other?

Or for something really risky, maybe ask the daughter which one she prefers? Wimmenz does have opinions on things! 😉

grtdkad

She loves the look of the 456 and was fairly indifferent about the (grey) XTC.

I know the 456 will make a mint bike but there’s a fair but of heft there. I’m guessing that once built up the 1lb weight difference will be unnoticeable ?

timidwheeler
    Free Member

The 456 will be quite long along the top. I love my whippet but even with a 40mm stem I find it too long to be easily chuckable. It is however very comfortable for long days out. If it is the same for her ask which is more important. If she is involved in the decision making process she will love it even more.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s not a lot, no.

If all the other parts are the same, I reckon you could level the score by fitting it with folding tyres, lighter wheels make a surprising difference.

grtdkad

Yes GFS, I’m thinking keep the 456 – looks cool for the whole mate cred’ side of things.

XTC likely to be heading towards classifieds

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I hope it’s ridden with a big smile 🙂

grtdkad

I’m sure it will. She just had a cheeky ride around Eastnor deer park on her old bike this afternoon. The new build will be mint!

grtdkad

Double post

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Frame for my daughter – help me decide please’ is closed to new replies.