Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Frame for DJ and also a bit of xc. The moon on a stick for a tall rider?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’m looking to improve my jumping and start having a crack at dirt jumps. I’m 6’3 with long arms and legs and have to ride my current bike (19″) with most of a 400mm seat post to get the right leg extension on xc rides.

I would like to get a more jump friendly frame, but am unsure of what size to get. If I go too small it will be a pig to ride xc, but if it is too big I’m not sure it will be that good for dirt jumping and being able to bail if things go pear shaped.

I’ve been looking at 16″ frames which could be a compromise between the two. The less appealing choice is getting a cheap dirt jump bike and keeping my hardtail as is.

Am I kidding myself trying to get a frame that will do both fairly well?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and also wanted a bike to do exactly what you want. I bought a 17.5″ Cotic Bfe which I think is about the perfect compromise in terms of size.

With a Thomson seatpost I can get the saddle high enough (although it would be nicer if I could raise it an extra few mm for riding on the road) but its small enough for dirt jumps and downhill riding.

Seems to have decent geometry, i.e. not too steep or slack and nice short chainstays.

Doing the Whinlatter challenge on it next weekend so that will be a good indicator as to whether it cuts the mustard for xc riding.

lunge

I tried to do soemthing similar and gave up in the end. I am 6’4″ and have now excepted that I will always need a “proper” bike for XC and a small bike for jumps and downhill.

On the bright side, building a little play bike is great fun.

kudos100
    Free Member

Hi David,

I’m pretty poor at jumping, so wonder if getting a 16-17″ frame is going to be that much easier for me to learn on than my 19″. What do you think is the best bike/frame size to learn to jump on?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A bmx is the best bike to learn to jump on.

Just practice on your current bike though? If you get into it then buy a proper jump bike.

If your after an mtb though, I used to have a dmr trailstar which I thought was awesome for jumps. That was 16inch with a short TT so too small for xc.

5lab

I’m in exactly the same boat. 6’3 – wanted a jumpy xc bike

I bought a ns bikes surge. only a 17″ frame (but for me thats almost long enough with a 350mm post at full extension – maybe you’re more leggy than me??). great fun bike, very playful. Obviously its a little compromised for xc, but I don’t find it an issue. Its now running a rase post to allow adjustment on the fly

Surge 2010-07-25 005 by 5lab, on Flickr

eviljoe
    Free Member

6′ 3″ here, loved my old 16in Rocky mountain flow (now sold…) would even go up the hill thanks to extra long seatpost 🙂

austen

Not really a jumper but wanted a thrashy chuck around bike, same height as you and went for a L Chameleon.

It just about works for XC with a Thompson post at max extension and is fine for 2-3 hours of bombing around the woods, but wouldn’t want to ride it much further. Also wouldn’t want anything shorter even as a jump bike as it feels low/short/as though I’m going to land on my head already.

Other advantages are that you can run it singlespeed for reduced chain slappage and (if an EBB) can make a pretty major alteration to the BB height depending on what you’re up to.

kudos100
    Free Member

David: I don’t think I can go back to riding a bmx, I had a go on one the other day and it felt like a clown bike! Would be up for having a go on something with 24″ wheels though.

5lab: that is the frame I have been looking at, but I wonder if it is too close to my current frame (sinister ridge)

chiefgrooveguru

Are you riding flats or SPDs now? The former seem to suit a slightly lower saddle height. I wanted a bike for a mix of XC, trail riding, and starting out at pumptrack, dirt jump and DH (but no plans to jump big or huck off big drops), and whilst the DJ would want a smaller frame the DH suits a longer frame. I was thinking about a 16″ BFe (I’m 5’10”) but in the end went for a 17.5″ Soul as I decided I’m not brave enough to break the Soul and the 17.5″ felt nicely small on me. If I were you I’d stick the saddle all the way down on your current bike and see if it feels too big when jumping.

I’d probably get a BMX or 24″ if I wanted to focus on jumping though!

kudos100
    Free Member

I only ride flats as I’ve just got back into riding after 15 years and want to improve my technique before going back to spd’s.

My current bike is ok for jumping, but as it is quite big it is not ideal. Hmmmm maybe a cheap dirt jumper is the way forward…….

5lab

not sure about the sinister. This year’s surge is slightly shorter (in large size) than last years, so it might be worth hunting out an older one. mine is a 2009 so doesn’t have the funky dropouts

I’m very pleased with it, and had no problems. I’ve ridden a 456 and it feels (to me) more playful than that. My mates building up a BFE in 19″ so I guess when that’s done I can compare it.

looking at the sinister, the ns is a load slacker. would be better on the downs – not sure about jumping..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Frame for DJ and also a bit of xc. The moon on a stick for a tall rider?’ is closed to new replies.