Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Frame Damage – Whaddya think?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I mysteriously dented the chainstay on t'Pitch on the PDS. I carried on with no obvious effects, but it looks like this –

I've emailed Spesh to see if they'll sell me a new chainstay assembly, but no reply so far…..

😐

robhughes
    Free Member

would feel ok riding that.just in case it goes.
    i don,t like pain 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Just a flesh wound – I'd keep on riding…

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Assuming yuo don't get a new one anyway: That's fine, run it. Seen far worse.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'd like a new stay if IF (Big 'if'!) I ever come to sell it really….

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

When you say 'chainstay' do you actually mean 'seatstay' as that's what it looks like to me?

Chainstays are predominantly in tension and that damage would almost certainly cause no issues or shorten the longevity.

Seatstays on the other hand are in compression and it's potentially more concerning that it could buckle.

That said, if it was me I'd just ride and not worry about it. It's a macho battle scar.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 Biscuit

toys19
    Free Member

I think the twice baked boy has a point.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will be fine in use IMO

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When you say 'chainstay' do you actually mean 'seatstay' as that's what it looks like to me?

Balls. Yes, sorry, SEATSTAY. 😳

foxyrider
    Free Member

New seat stay should be pretty cheap to get if your worried from spesh 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'd like to think I'd carry on riding that, but I've never put a dent that deep in anything tbh. Bad luck. Hope the trip was worth it. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

How did you do that PP?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sat on it.

*runs away*

*boards spaceplane to Mars*

*hitches lift with aleins to andromeda*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

ADH – Fek off! 😛

Buzz – No idea mate. I did have a very slow tumble on some singletrack though, so I'm guessing there was the odd rock about?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmmm the paints flaking off which suggests its been deformed quite a bit. Not so sure that i'd be so keen on riding that much, is the inner side of the seatstay straight and true i.e. not bent inwards?

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

"just riding along??", I'd be surprised if Spesh did replace it under warranty BUT you never know with that company.

I'd keep riding for now and if it gets worse or cracks then I'd stop

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

just riding along??", I'd be surprised if Spesh did replace it under warranty BUT you never know with that company.

Eh? Precisely where did I say that? I said I didn't recall damaging it, but I thought it might have been a slow crash, and that I'd asked Spesh if I could BUY a new chainstay seatstay assembly.
    I'm not going to insult them by even attempting a warranty claim!! 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I did similar to my 5spot's chainstay last year. Sent a picture to turner and they just sent an email back with two words.

'Ride it…'

slackman99
    Free Member

I'd ride it!

Good luck getting any kind of response from Specialized! Been waiting 2 weeks so far after 3 emails, and still no response.

neilnevill
    Free Member

pff, just a scratch.
    fahgedabutit and just ride it.

I put a bigger dent in the top tube of a wolf ridge once…rode it some more…it cracked…somewhere very differnt though so it got replaced on warrnty 😀

Burls72
    Free Member

Did the same thing, fell off at low speed and bent the seatstay on a rock. I damaged mine more than you and it did alter the rear triangle alignment. Straightened it the best I could and couldn't tell any difference other than the suspension bearings on that side wearing out quicker.

speaker2animals

Depends really. I think if it was a HT I'd be more worried than your FS. I know the seatstay transmits the force but at least on a FS it is into a shock (force) absorbing element. Really depends how hard you ride. The way I ride I doubt that there would be a problem cos I is a big girlie. (No offence meant ladies).

Put a request on Classifieds for a Pitch being broken? Can't imagine a new assembly would be cheap, pretty bloomin expensive I would expect.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Spesh are normally extremely accommodating when it comes to replacement frame parts.

They seem to like their bikes being ridden.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Chainstays are in bending not really tension, surely (bottom surface tension, top surface compression). It's a fairly notable dent but it will probably be fine unless you like really big drops when the stay might buckle.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Frame Damage – Whaddya think?’ is closed to new replies.