Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • frame choice conundrum
  • randombike
    Free Member

Hi, I am just about to get a new frame and I have looked around A LOT and have come up with a few possible frames, I just need help deciding XD
    Commencal meta SL
    Nukeproof mega am/tr
    Mondraker foxy xr
    Yeti asr 5
    Just for the record I mainly do freeride and occasionally downhill
    Thankyou

bails

I’ve got an ASR5 and love it, but it’s not a freeride bike, so not that.

The Meta SL is a 120mm trail bike, so not that either.

The Foxy looks like a 140mm trail bike, so not that.

The Mega TR is a TRail bike, so not that.

The Mega AM is a bit beefier, but still not a freeride/DH bike.

randombike
    Free Member

So basically none of them are quite right but the mega am is closest?
    There is also a mondraker dune xr, but its a bit more expensive

randombike
    Free Member

Oh wait never mind the dune xr is out of stock 🙁

philfive
    Free Member

None of those frames are freeride or downhill.

you mean you do trail riding but not XC wippet style?… so all mountain style stuff?

philfive
    Free Member

Trek Slash
    Scott voltage
    Cube Hanzz
    Banshee Rune
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Specialize Status

I think these are burly “freeride” options

randombike
    Free Member

The only reason I chose those frames is because they’re on sale ….
    Ye I guess the most common thing is all mountain but it does need to be capable of downhill

fr0sty125
    Free Member

What fork do you have and what was your last frame?

randombike
    Free Member

Current fork is fox float r (I think)
    Last frame was commencal meta 55

Northwind

Just about every am frame is totally capable of downhill, these days. Freeride depends on what you think freeride is.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try things like older enduros that might be left over or I’d head to the used market if price is a limiting factor what’s your budget. All of those will go dh in the right hands just might not be plesent and the components might not last. What sort of dh are you doing? Where do you ride the most?

randombike
    Free Member

Ye I guess, I don’t want to spend over say 1000, maybe up to 1500 if its really good
    The dh I do is just a Forrest nearby, the most common thing but not the most difficult is just a hill called Holcombe moor

randombike
    Free Member

Just for the record I’m looking for a frame not a full bike

fr0sty125
    Free Member

What was wrong with the meta 55 and what length travel are your floats?

randombike
    Free Member

Its wearing out, had it for 5 years and its starting to get tired so I think its time for another
    I’m afraid I have no idea on the size or travel

randombike
    Free Member

Oo that orange patriot looks good

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Ok I had a Meta 55 and it was 140mm rear travel. So some of your original choices may still be valid if the Meta does everything you want at the moment.

I’ll also throw in the Banshee Spitfire as it’s also 140mm rear and what I’ve gone to and I love it. I’m running with 160mm upfront so it does everything I could ever want. If you want beefier then yes the Rune would be the one as it’s 160mm rear but it’s still a decent climber from what I’ve heard and it’s thanks to the KS suspension design on the Banshee frames plus the Cane Creek Double Barrel rear shock.

randombike
    Free Member

Banshee seems good, saw one on eBay for £589 but with £162 shipping so that is a good price, it has good reviews but then so does the orange patriot …… Aaaaand we are back to square one 😉

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you want a aggressive burly bike then getting that Orange sell your fox forks and get some bigger forks such as a X Fusion Vengeance HLR would be a good bet.

randombike
    Free Member

Thanks,the x fusion is a tad expensive the cheapest was like £580.
    What size forks would you recommend?

deanfbm
    Free Member

Where/what do you actually ride?

What do you like doing?

Freeride either says to me shorter travel messing around BMX style or big travel sending massive gaps to flat.

randombike
    Free Member

Currently only really go locally, I have only just started going further afield to find actual purpose tracks so I want a new frame.
    And yes I do want quite a lot of travel because I do jumps pretty much wherever possible

randombike
    Free Member

Is giant glory 2013 any good?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Yes but it is a full on DH frame

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Best thing you can do to be honest given you don’t really know what you want is to test ride a few bikes of differing types and see what you prefer, as going from a 140mm ride everything bike like the Meta to a full-on DH rig like the Glory is a huge change for you.

IMO any one of the do-it all “enduro” type bikes with 140mm-160mm rear travel is what your after, you’ll probably want to go 160mm travel upfront and something from X-Fusion would be a good choice given they are great value for money.

randombike
    Free Member

Oooohhhhhh XD
    Ye that sounds about right rear travel, just still wondering which one exactly …
    Where can I actually go to test a bike??
    I know of bike shops that’ll let me go around the parking lot but not offroad.

randombike
    Free Member

Just found a santa Cruz blur ltc
    Any good?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Demo days and bike hire shops

deanfbm
    Free Member

More travel doesn’t make a bike jump better, just more stuff glueing it to the ground.

As i was sort of suggesting, sounds like you either want shorter or longer travel, not this in between.

Shorter travel like the mega tr or a commencal hip hop basically wants to leave the ground all the time, big travel, 180mm+ will allow you to hit massive stuff and not worry about anything ever.

Mid travel, 150ish, isn’t as fun for jumping as something a little shorter travel and isn’t enough to feel indestructible like you would on a true freeride/dh bike.

randombike
    Free Member

Oohhh
    But won’t shorter travel bottom out on big hits?

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Dean I have to disagree a bit with you, my Spitfire is 140mm/160mm and it’s way more poppy and playful than my Meta was. It’s more the suspension design and shock that’ll give it that feel and as for indestructible the Spitfire certainly feels like that when I point it down the hill, true not as much as my old Scott DH bike but it’s certainly more confidence inspiring than the Meta was.

DK
    Free Member

Hi, I have just the bike! ;D

Cannondale prophet MX with x fusion vengeance up front!

The mx has 140mm rear travel and a 12mm bolt through back end.
    The vengeance are currently 150mm but can be run between 100 and 170mm

Nice slack head angle too.

Will be up for grabs beginning of august.
    I’ll put a pic up in a min 🙂

transition1
    Free Member

Transition Covert – 160mm rear travel

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘frame choice conundrum’ is closed to new replies.