Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Frame Change from 16" to 14.5" Soul
  • wheelie

I am 5’4″ tall. I have a 16″ Soul

,but have a 14.5mm. frame waiting in the wings.It is about 17mm shorter in the top tube. I am currently running a 40mm. stem, 740 bars and 120mm. forks.
    What would i expect to notice from a smaller frame. I would it expect to be able to pop the front end easier, but what should i expect climbing, cornering and downhill?

wheelie

oops………….that was one post sorry i am not very wired!

toys19
    Free Member

I’m 5ft5 and have a 14.5 BFe, which as far as I understand is exactly the same geom. I’ve run it with fox 140mm and marz 150mm forks.

With a 35mm stem and 760 bars it is the best fitting bike I have ever had. Feels the most comfortable and easiest to chuck around. I wish all my bikes were the same dims.
    And I am jealous as the xs soul is now no more so I wish I had bought one.

wheelie

Thanks for that Toys19 I was hoping to hear that…..The shorter top tube does not effect climbing?

toys19
    Free Member

no not for me.

bigblackshed

What will you notice?

Not a lot. Tiny bit shorter in the TT and a bit more seat post showing.

I ride the “wrong” sized frame because the TT is the length I want. There’s absolutely no difference in the size of most frames from the BB back. You will feel more difference in changing the stem in the way it climbs rather than the frame size.

bullroar
    Free Member

I am about 5ft 8in, I have a small and XS Bfe both with 50mm stem and 740mm bars and run suspension between 130 and 150 (mainly the former). They are both great handling bikes and an absolute hoot to ride anywhere, the XS is perhaps easier to move around.

I do find climbing a bit of a chore on the XS mainly because I can’t get enough seat post height and the TT is a bit cramped but is tolerable. May not be a problem for you.

toys19
    Free Member

wheelie, ps if you decide not to go to the XS, sell it to me.

wheelie

Toys I think i will give it a try. If i don’t get on with it i’ll give you first refusal!

toys19
    Free Member

ok, that sounds good. I think at your height you will love it.

thekettle
    Free Member

Should fit you nicely, and maybe feel better on steep descents. I’m 5’4 too, ridden a 14″ Blue Pig (140mm forks, 760 bars, 50mm stem) for 3 years (14″ Scandal before that) and it’s a great fit. Feels like a BMX/trials bike if I fully drop the seat, and I don’t find it cramped to climb on (with inline seatpost).

wheelie

Thanks for all your input guys.Frame change in progress.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Frame Change from 16" to 14.5" Soul’ is closed to new replies.