• This topic has 23 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by frood.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Frame breakage – doing a wheelie!
  • lmow20
    Free Member

Hi all,

I read all these rave reviews about the Lynskey Built On-one 456 hardtail. Bike radar gave it ***** which was almost unprecedented. “Stick on a 6″ fork and head for the alps” they said.

So imagine my surprise 7 months on when, during a wheelie in town, I pulled the brake to control an over rotation, the damn thing gave way!

I bought the bike as shop-soiled demo from Planetx. Do I have a leg to stand on?

daver27
    Free Member

yep, clear fail through the welds and a known problem.

But, it depends on whether their warranty for soiled items is the same as non soiled.

cokie

Ouch! That looks bad.
    What does the other dropout look like now? Twisted?
    Looks like your brake hose may need replacing too.

daveh
    Free Member

7 months = not fit for purpose?

granny_ring

Well if i bought a frame and it snapped after 7 months I’d be a bit peeved, wouldn’t you?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

this has happened before with this frame hasn’t it?

[not this particular frame…]

allthepies
    Free Member

Bike radar gave it *****

s-h-i-t-e ?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Warranty schmarranty. Send her back

jam-bo

whats the definition of shop soiled?

Xylene
    Free Member

whats the definition of shop soiled?

Sat on by less than 100 sweaty arses, and a fecal count on the grips of less than 1000cm2.

ribena
    Free Member

SOGA covers it if warranty doesn’t

murf
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t mention the wheelie! Best to tell them you were just riding along, they won’t have heard that before…

rOcKeTdOg

I read all these rave reviews about the Lynskey Built

But not all the threads about lynskey failures?

Should be a warranty of some sort though, soiled or not

jam-bo

If I were writing warranty terms for a bike company I think I would specifically exclude just riding along.

tpbiker
    Free Member

that will polish out…

Jerome
    Free Member

I bought a 2nd hand one a few months back . Latest version saw bullett ends .

finbar
    Free Member

Lynskey. Lol.

Not sure what I’d be less likely to buy – them or Litespeed.

EDIT: sorry, not helpful.

lmow20
    Free Member

Ha,
    cheers for the comments. To be fair On-one are going to collect the frame and have a look at it. The trouble is they don’t do their own ti welding (I don’t think). The right side is also bent as all the stress was instantly transferred to twisting the dropout once the left side gave way.

Thankfully I think the wheel and disc are ok, just the brake hose. We’ll see.

btw: if doing wheelies is beyond the manufacturer recommendations of a mountain bike, where do you draw the line? Two wheels planted firmly on ground less than 10% incline – specific bicycle path gravel at no speeds greater than 30 mph?

singlesteed
    Free Member

Rather than post this op, I reckon you should have awaited an outcome first.

Sanny
    Free Member

My mate Luke put a set of long travel forks on his and went to the Alps. It lasted two and a half days before breaking in exactly the same manner. There are pics on the forum if you look for them. I guess big discs and a small surface area for welds don’t play well together.

I now actively avoid anything made my Litespeed or Lynskey. I had a Litespeed made Hummer. The headtube was over reamed so they glued in an aluminium insert. Unsurprisingly, it failed. Their initial solution was to offer to cut out the head tube and reweld it. Thankfully, the importer went to bat for me and got me a new frame which I subsequently sold. 😀

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

singlesteed – Member
    Rather than post this op, I reckon you should have awaited an outcome first.

Why?

Northwind

It’s just Lynskey being Lynskey isn’t it? As much as On One are thieving warranty evading ****, even they’re not likely to argue the toss on this warranty, and the blame for the breakage lies with Lynskey not them.

I figure it’s a matter of time til my Lynskey Ragley falls apart tbh.

lmow20
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the stanton switchback? Im faithful to the Hardtail and am now obvs in the market for a new chuckable hardtail.

frood
    Free Member

b r’s is still going 7 years on. As above though, it should be warrantied, whether soiled or not

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Frame breakage – doing a wheelie!’ is closed to new replies.