Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Frame bearings … Replace all or just the worn ones ?
  • renton
    Free Member

So I have a couple of bearings on my stumpy frame that are worn and need replacing.

The rest feel fine.

Would it makes sense to replace all of them or just the ones that actually need doing ?

nickjb
    Free Member

Just the worn ones. My stumpy really only used to wear the main pivot by the bb. Just doing the worn one encourages you to do it before it gets to bad so it’s better for the life of the other bearings.

wiggles
    Free Member

If you are doing it yourself then just the worn ones and give the others a proper check.

If you paying someone to do it you might as well have them all done as labour won’t be much more

nastybuller
    Free Member

I was always told to do them in pairs

nuke

I do just worn but, as nastybuller, I’d do pairs

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Its the pair on the rocker link where the shock connects to it that are worn.

tjagain

if it is not too much bother to replace all I would do all ie if the amount of dismantling you need to do to get access to the worn ones also gets you access to the others replace the lot. actually getting the bearings changed is the easy bit, its the dismantling to get access that takes time

RicB

Always do in pairs.

Use a pad spring to gently prise the seals of all the bearings, give them a flush out with something and repack with grease. They’ll last forever if you do this every six months.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

If you want to prolong the life of your Spesh bearings then you can always pop the seals off them in the frame and re grease them.

I do this about twice a year. First wash them out with gt45, let them dry and blow them through with a can of desk cleaner compressed air. Then squirt some new grease in. It works a treat on my Camber. And it made the guy in the Specialized Concept store pull a funny face which was an added bonus.

It’s worth changing the bolts about every fourth change though as they’re not meant to be reused indefinitely and you can over torque them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ll go against the grain here. Given the cost of bearings (£35 for a full set of stumpy bearings), if the bike is off the road and in pieces, why not do the lot? Unless you know for a fact that the two new bearings will be the first to go next time, you could find yourself in the same boat next month when two different ones are worn.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m with onzadog, I do the lot.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’m with onzadog, I do the lot.

Same here, and use some decent bearings!

windyg
    Free Member

When the ones you didn’t do wear out you’ll wish you did them all.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Its the pair on the rocker link where the shock connects to it that are worn.

Aren’t they bushes?

renton
    Free Member

Nope bearings mate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Frame bearings … Replace all or just the worn ones ?’ is closed to new replies.